Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 September 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a joyful week. 

Looks like the autumn rains are coming early here this year. Lots of electrical thunderstorms last week with power outages and more forecast for this week.

I woke up in the night once this week and nearly climbed up the wall because I thought a scorpion was in bed with me. It was only a very long Trig, though. A Trig is a grasshopper-like bug. That species tries to come indoors this time of year. I'm not afraid of them, but they're very loud and annoying. They make a sound like metal gears grinding. I relocated that one outdoors.

• aquilareen said:
    Must go or we may never receive another invite!!!

Sounds like that would be ideal!!  Your daughter needs to have a good look at herself.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• RIP, Queen Elizabeth II. You were a remarkable woman and it will be hard for your successor to live up to your reign. I hope people give King Charles and his wife their support as I consider both of them to be very worthwhile people, whatever their history.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• It’s very quiet on here today. Maybe everyone feels a bit like me. Not sure what to do. I have had a little potter in the garden and done a bit of reading. To be honest, I haven’t had the television on, I have kept up to date with the comings and goings via the BBC News website.
  • Clare, you got your wish as the welcome given to King Charles as he arrived at Buckingham Palace was a warm one, with people even shouting "God Save the King!" He responded by shaking hundreds of hands thrust out towards him. It moved me to tears.

I've had a muddled day, as spent a while on the phone to Sue, who has been away on a (British) holiday. Also my OH did bring home my newly mended Kindle so am very pleased about that. Did yet more ironing (argh!) and on & off, watched coverage of the Royal tributes and comings and goings.

It's still grey skies here with odd rumblings of thunder and sudden showers. We need plenty of rain for the poor garden. Yesterday I pruned back some roses which have now ceased flowering which felt rather autumnal, although it's still warm.

• AQ - It's a difficult one when your offspring turn awkward. You don't want to cut the strings or make things worse, but tightropes sometimes have to be walked and lips buttoned. Grit your teeth, smile, and fingers crossed behind your back that you don't catch covid.

I think that mental picture of you doing all those things will carry me through, even if it doesn't help you!

• LINDY Thank you, he seems to be back to normal now although not playing with his toys as much as usual.
  • Spent two days watching TV - first energy statement from the PM Thursday morning, then news from Balmoral etc Thursday afternoon onwards. On Wednesday I had randomly remarked that this country cannot afford a royal funeral, so I felt I had caused her death - yes I say death - can't bring myself to change to the euphemistic "passing" which people seem to prefer there days!

I was pleased to see the welcome King Charles and Queen Camilla received at Buck House, and thought his speech/address was excellent. In parliament Theresa May topped all the hype with the cheese story - but best part has been the many reruns of Her Late Majesty and P Bear Esq having their tea party!

May be missing tomorrow - church has vestry day in the morning and it should be Annan Harbour Festival after lunch - although that could be cancelled like sports events due to public outpouring of grief.

• Unknown said:
    yes I say death

So do I.  I'm sick to death of people using 'passing'.  You do that in football.

Unknown said:
    In parliament Theresa May topped all the hype with the cheese story

That was brilliant.  I didn't know she had such a sense of humour.

Unknown said:
    best part has been the many reruns of Her Late Majesty and P Bear Esq having their tea party!

That, along with the James Bond thing for the London Olympics, was inspired!

• AQ - Yes, visit dau and take your own food as you say so many are vegan. Try and stay some distance from the relatives if that is possible. Sausage rolls sound good. Hope the event goes off ok.
    Yes Elizabeth was a tremendous leader in all ways. They had a Thanksgiving service today from St. Paul's Cathedral. Personally I would have preferred this after the funeral. Classic FM has been playing contemplative music all day and may go on a bit until the funeral.

I remember I must have been about 6. If I remember rightly we watched the coronation at the present family home on a small black and white tele.

Our new King gave a very heartfelt address to the Nation at about 6pm tonight. Tributes have poured in all day from around the world and at home.
  • Agree with you Clare. Charles was originally in love with Camilla but it didn;t go ahead at the time and that is why she married Shand-Kidd. He was cajoled into marrying Diane and as we know it didn't end as a fairytale. Yes, he deserves his Kingship and a chance to rule following his mother's guidance and diplomacy. Long live King Charles 111.

I must admit I've had the tele on on the background most of the day picking up snippits here and there and watching other programmes as at present there is saturation coverage.