Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 August 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week. 

I've read all of your news. I have a lot of important tasks with time deadlines weighing on me right now, and I can't seem to summon much energy to do them. I'll catch up with you all soon. 

Take care of yourselves. Those in the U.K., stay cool!

• We have had some rain! And I believe it's what gardeners refer to as 'the right sort of rain' - not too hard, and steady. Mind you, it only lasted about 15 minutes, so not sure it has made much impression. There is also thunder rumbling around, so we are probably in for something else a bit later, Means I don't need to go and refill the bird bath! Oo - as I typed that, there was a flash of lightning.

Hope anyone ailing in any way is improving. Must get down to some sensible work now it's cooler and my brain seem to have returned from its Covid holiday. Take care, everyone.
  • That sounds bonkers LINDY !
    The last thing I would want - to be away from easy access to shops etc and horror of horrors, to be with a load of other oldies....
  • Glad your brain fog has gone away, Pat !
    I have three daughters who are having hormonal brain fog. It seems as if I'm the only one who can still think clearly and who has a good memory. Just as well !
  • LINDY Surprised she didn't discuss this with you first as you have always been such a help to her. She c an always change her mind of course.
  • Dibnlib. We were so shocked at 1st, that we said nothing. Then we found that her house was already being advertised - this is all over 3 weeks ago. Her offer on the bungalow was then accepted. A good offer was made for her house. It's all in the hands of solicitors now, so is over apart from the signing. My OH forbade me to remonstrate with his sister, as "It's her decision" -- I was very upset as I thought she needed someone to point out the pitfalls. The bungalow is less value than her house, and will need a lot spending on it. So, once done, no going back - it's beginning to get expensive in the village, as a desirable place away from the built up areas and she will not be able to return to it. She will have spent the money.

It's actually caused some aggravation between my OH and myself, which is unusual - we are harmonious most of the time. (Not always! - we're not saints!) but that fact has upset me, also. I want to tell her that we think she's crazy, before it's too late. He agrees it's crazy but says "She is an adult" and thinks we shouldn't interfere. I'm tired of thinking about it now so am glad to whinge on here and get if off my chest.

• PS - we drove past the bungalow to see it, and it was even worse than I thought - there is no garden at the back at all, just a view of a hedge, and at the front there is a tiny tiny patch with paving slabs, a few roses, and a white picket fence. All around are three storey blocks of flats with retirees in them. She will be in the countryside but unable to see it unless she takes a walk. I'm nearly crying describing this, I'm so upset. Sorry.
  • LINDY - is it possible that one of her children needs financial help ? Maybe she needed/wanted to release some equity.
  • Morning all:   Still busy catching up but...And thank you Diane.

Lindybird:  I'd speak up.  Being isolated - without a shop or any services at all - was and still is the one drawback to where my sister and BiL live in Lincolnshire - and they were in a regular village surrounded by lovely countryside they didn't have to leave the house to see.....  Now that my sister has gone, my BiL seems open to moving closer to his daughter.      Heather may have a point.....  Still....  

• Lindy, it sounds like a really upsetting situation. Your description of the bungalow doesn’t make it sound very appealing. Does this retirement community have activities that your s-i-l would want to join in with? Does she know people who live there? I am just trying to think of a reason why she might want to move. Sorry the situation has caused some upset between you and your OH.
    I have had a day at home as I was expecting a phone call. Naturally to occupy myself I did some cleaning. Guess what? I missed the call because I was hoovering!! I thought I would be able to hear the phone over the hoover but obviously not! Fortunately they rang back an hour later so all was well.
    I found it difficult at my friend’s yesterday. She has health problems to cope with and a family bereavement too. I listened and commented when I could. We have agreed that I will go with her to walk her dogs one day.