Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 August 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week. 

I've read all of your news. I have a lot of important tasks with time deadlines weighing on me right now, and I can't seem to summon much energy to do them. I'll catch up with you all soon. 

Take care of yourselves. Those in the U.K., stay cool!

• LINDA – Your sis-i-l’s decision doesn’t make sense to me. I like being close to all amenities. But as the decision has been made and is underway, there is nothing you can do. Feel free to rant to us, not your OH <grin>.

It was supposed to be a fine day here. Instead it has been overcast with a few sprinkles. Now, late pm, it is looking rather dark & threatening. Tomorrow I have a "helping Dau" day or, rather, a few hours. Ulterior motive - I need her printer. One of these days I shall try again to buy my new printer, hoping stock has been replenished after covid lockdowns.

• Good Morning. Dry & cloudy here, we only had a smattering of rain overnight so my OH watered all my tubs last evening.

Replies later - I have lots to do this morning.
  • LINDY - It's plain to see that you care very much - but I remember that Sue pulled out of the cruise and she sounds like a lady who knows her own mind .Does she have to go upstairs to her bedroom? A lot of folk I know have moved to bungalows because of that. Others have a stair lift.
    I wouldn't do anything as important without discussing it with family, but we are all different.I
    Sending hugs....
  • Good morning. We seem to have had quite a lot of rain overnight but it has stopped now. It is still dull and relatively cool. I am glad because I am playing golf in an hour. I prefer these conditions.
    I hope everyone has a good day.
  • It's trying to be sunny, here. I've been busily stripping beds as its laundry day, and emptying the conservatory with the help of my OH, so that it can have a thorough clean with a mopped floor and all things dusted before being returned to floor & windowsills. We tipped up our two recliner chairs and were pretty horrified to find that spiders had been busy underneath, and then because Bonnie has been moulting, there were also dog hairs stuck to the cobwebs in abundance!!! Ugh! Small hoover needed, duster, damp cloths, all used.

Now its drying. We found some strange bits of some kind of plaster plus some black plastic on the carpet where I'd put the standard lamp. The mystery was solved when I tipped up the base of the lamp to have a look -- the plaster was part of the ballast to make the lamp heavy, and it and the plastic had disintegrated with age. We put the lamp in there when we moved in, in 2003! So it's not surprising. Off to the Tip, now.
  • Not heard from Sue yet, today. She takes an elderly friend to the hairdressers and other chores on a Wednesday. I know that she has been unnerved by a relative of hers who has had a bad stroke. Sue is also worried that her hip has been paining her for some time - there doesn't seem to be a cure for it. Her present house has limited space downstairs so she has to sleep upstairs, although I did point out that modern stairlifts are neat and easy to use. She can drive, and buzzes around a lot every day, & also goes walking her dog.

I think she should have been looking for a flat or bungalow nearer to where she is now: she was born in the village and knows a half of the population there, but will not know a soul where she's going. She is impulsive and that's probably why she agreed to going on the cruise with us, but then just as impulsively pulled out of going! She lost her deposit on that which was considerable and which made me feel guilty for inviting her in the1st place!!

Heather - Thanks for the hugs, I need something, and am trying not to head for the gin bottle! LOL!!

Sue got divorced many years ago and had to relocate to avoid her ex. She then moved, and moved again. Then she moved a g a i n, & came back to the village (her ex by now having moved on). Then, just when we thought she might stay put, she downsized from a bungalow to her present small house about 4 years ago. Goodness knows what goes through her mind. 

• Heather: re one of your remarks -- I said to my OH last night that it's obvious she thought we would try to talk her out of it, as she not only viewed the new property without telling anyone, but didnt tell us until she had made an offer for it, and put her own house on the market! Sorry to hog the thread.... I'll shut up now....

Today's quotes:
    Life has got to be lived -- that's all there is to it. At seventy, I would say the advantage is that you take life more calmly. You know that "this, too, shall pass!"
    Eleanor Roosevelt.

We are always the same age inside.
    Gertrude Stein.
  • RUSTY - Hope you enjoyed the golf !
    The weather here is quite Autumnal which is much more comfortable for me - others are missing the hot weather. Schools went back yesterday, in Scotland.
  • I did enjoy the golf thanks Heather. I played with 2 lovely ladies and we laughed a lot. My golf wasn’t brilliant but the fact that I could go out there and play18 holes was the important bit. We all had a nice cup of tea in the clubhouse afterwards.
    Lindy - don’t worry about letting off steam to us. You are obviously very worried that this latest decision by your s-i-l is not in her best interest.
    I am looking forward to watching “Shetland” tonight but I am very sorry that Douglas Henshall is leaving after this series.
  • Lindybird: Oh don't feel guilty for inviting Sue on the cruise; it wasn't your decision to cancel. Impulse buying a house? Hmmm.....