LLYN BRENIG August 2022

Link to JULY 2022

Our Osprey family taken on 7th July, 2022.

Our chicks on 31st July, 2022. Olwen flying in to join her family. 

This was a new nest erected for 2022 season to replace the one vandalised in 2021 after this pair and just laid their first egg.

Our male, blue LJ2  (2018 South Argyll) arrived on 6th April 2022.

Our female, blue LM6  (2018 Menteith, Stirling) arrived on 10th April 2022.

This is our young adult osprey pair’s first successful breeding season.

First egg  25th April. Second egg 28th April. Third egg 1st May.

Eggs hatched 1st June, 3rd June, 5th June (3rd chick died on day of hatching) Broken heart

Chicks ringed ringed 4th July, chick #1 blue X6 female,  chick #2 blue KA9 male.

Chicks named  7th July - X6 Olwen - KA9 Gelert as chosen by public vote on Brenig Facebook.

8th July, it was noticed LM6’s blue darvic ring had split and fallen off her leg onto the nest on 7th July.  She now only has a silver BTO ring on her right leg.

The first born chick, X6/Olwen fledged at 55 days old at 12.45 on 26th July.

The second born chick KA9/Gelert fledged at 55 days old at 07.29 on 28th July.

Today on 1st August, the chicks are 61 and 59 days old respectively. 

Brenig Osprey Project is a collaboration between Dŵr Cymru/Welsh Water, North Wales Wildlife Trust and the RSPB.

Link to northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk

• Hello Glider and All

We managed to call into Llyn Brenig today on our way home!

The nest is miles away and very difficult to get any pics and to see who's who without the live stream running! Also there is no signal for data and think this is why the LS has stopped.

Not sure it is the NWWT that has the LS but the family is still all there however they are starting to fish at the dam which is further a field!

Here is the setting of the nest and a bird eating! Our equipment definitely not up to this distance! lol!

Couldn't post any on the spot with no data signal!

• Hello LAM SmileyWave so lovely to hear from you and lovely that you made it to Brenig, bringing our only update on the ospreys in the last FOUR days!! Thank you sooo much for the photos, nice to get different views and to know that the ospreys are still around. I’m not surprised that it’s signal problems to the live stream as it’s been so inconsistent all season. Just crossing fingers every day it comes back on. Interesting that our birds are fishing at the dam now, wonder if different types will be brought in when we eventually see them!

You’ve done so well getting round several nests, including the hard to reach! Good luck at Manton when you return there and hopefully see at least Maya and 33 again.
  • Thank you Glider yes we realised Brenig was literally on our way back so got up early, packed up camp and hit the road to Llyn Brenig! It's a stunning setting but as it's too far away, and we couldn't get a better sighting spot as didn't have time to arrange the hide..... Although bit expensive at £30 for 1 1/2 hours, to see much of the action!
    We at least did see birds one was eating a fish and the other hoping for a share!
    Think the dam is bit further away from where they have been fishing so perhaps getting ready for the off! But hope and pray not until the LS up and running for you to see them again! Really pleased to at least be able to give you a bit of an update and a few pics to be going on with! Did you see that a Llyn Brenig bird landed on Glaslyn when we were there. Think it was one of the many intruders we saw over the few days we were there.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement and we will see if we can manage a trip to Manton Bay before they all go!
  • This is the volunteer we spoke to today and here is link to his FB post which gives some good information
    www.facebook.com/.../
  • Thanks LAM, it’s misleading watching the live cam with no idea of how close it is to anything. Yes, that sounds expensive to me for a short view of the ospreys, thankfully you saw a couple, probably the youngsters! Also a nice bonus getting the pics for us. Blush I had no idea about the Brenig visitor to Glaslyn, I must investigate!! Have a wee rest before you begin your journeys again and will look for you on the Manton site. Thumbsup
  • Thank you Glider we need more than 6 hours sleep as that's all was possible on the campsite :-)
  • LAM said:
    This is the volunteer we spoke to today and here is link to his FB post which gives some good information
    www.facebook.com/.../

Thanks for that LAM but that’s the Facebook account I can’t access as I don’t have Facebook and it’s private. Still, I’m glad that you managed to have a good chat with the volunteer.