LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• WOW! Well done for finding that, Sheila, and thanks very much for sharing - amazing indeed!
  • From RSPB LG Facebook page 2 hours ago (2pm-ish)
    'We haven't seen 1C2 this morning which is a promising sign that he has finally gone to find fish for himself. This made room for another hanger-on who has been seen around our nest for the past few weeks. KL5 is a male osprey that was ringed on north Loch Ness 2 years ago. Looks like he is making a play for the Garten nest and is even tidying it up!'

• O shoot… I don’t know why I didn’t share 2 weeks ago… I’m so sorry
  • Edited:  I have just seen a Threave Castle FB post on a sighting of their oldest chick this week.  

They ringed their chicks on 29 June, so they are roughly two weeks older that 1C2.  They hadn't seen the youngest chick  Blue 040(22)f  Blue 042(22)? recently but were delighted to receive photos of her fishing on the Plym Estuary in Devon!!  

18 August 2022 Friends of Threave Osprey

Just got a message to say that chick 042 has been seen on the Plym estuary in Devon. Fingers crossed for the nest stage of her journey. One gone 2 to go.

The other two, 040 and 041 are still near the nest.

All is not lost!!  1C2 was certainly feisty chick which I am sure will hold him in good stead.  How wonderful it would be to get similar news about him soon.

An extract from a Threave post, yesterday afternoon before the posted of the sighting today, about midday

Wednesday afternoon was pleasantly warm down on the platform, but spotting Ospreys was not as easy now that we are getting near to the end of their Summer residency. There was no sign of Blue KC (I think she has left us) and no sign of the largest youngster, so she may well have ventured South too. Black 80 was around and sat in a tree to the right of the nest for a while before disappearing for the afternoon. He had left a fish on the nest during the morning, that had been taken away by one of the youngsters.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• The most important question to answer about IC2 is to ask how young have ospreys migrated and survived to be adults?

Well there is a very famous one that came from a nest not far from Loch Garten. He was hatched in 2009 and was a very late chick. Now for a variety of reasons he was forced to migrate at around 72 days.

Did he survive?  He is still alive today. How do we know all of this?  Well he carried one of those "evil" trackers.

He apparently has been nesting too.

Migration of  Rothiemurchus

More on Rothiemurchus

Just look how far Rothiemurchus flew before he did a stopover. 

See  2009

2010     and 2011

From 2009

Rothiemurchus was 700 metres from the Loch Garten osprey eyrie. He was still in the same place at 10pm, and an hour later was a little further north. What an incredible first day's journey of at least 147 miles.

• Thank you for the reassurances, Tiger. It is lovely to remember what travels he undertook, all thanks to the sat tag. And interesting to note he was only 72 days old when he started. He is also one of those 'special' ospreys who have been seen in both their summer quarter and winter quarters. It would be lovely to hear about his nest, who with and where. I think a lot of osprey are spotted by chance by birders with long lenses, thank goodness!!

• Wonderful, Sandra, thank you so much for the link.

• SheilaFE said:

I have just seen a Threave Castle FB post on a sighting of their oldest chick this week.  

They ringed their chicks on 29 June, so they are roughly two weeks older that 1C2.  They hadn't seen the oldest chick Blue 040(22)m recently but were delighted to receive photos of her fishing on the Plym Estuary in Devon!!  

The other two, 041 and 042 are still near the nest.

All is not lost!!  1C2 was certainly feisty chick which I am sure will hold him in good stead.  How wonderful it would be to get similar news about him soon.

An extract from a Threave post, yesterday afternoon before the posted of the sighting today, about midday

Wednesday afternoon was pleasantly warm down on the platform, but spotting Ospreys was not as easy now that we are getting near to the end of their Summer residency. There was no sign of Blue KC (I think she has left us) and no sign of the largest youngster, so she may well have ventured South too. Black 80 was around and sat in a tree to the right of the nest for a while before disappearing for the afternoon. He had left a fish on the nest during the morning, that had been taken away by one of the youngsters.

It is actually the youngest of the 3, Blue 042, who is on the Plym Estuary. From Friends of Threave Osprey's FB group yesterday - "Just got a message to say that chick 042 has been seen on the Plym estuary in Devon. Fingers crossed for the nest stage of her journey. One gone 2 to go."

• SheilaFE said:
    Wonderful, Sandra, thank you so much for the link.

You're very welcome, Sheila Slight smile