LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• I can't remember if KL5 is a male of not. Does anyone know please
  • Unknown said:
    I can't remember if KL5 is a male of not. Does anyone know please

Male.  And the cam is buffering again.

I'm just doing a rough video showing that he's bringing in nest material - of a similar low standard to Axel's, what's happened to all the good sticks at LG?

IMAGICAT

• ~Ah, I was hoping so.  Breast does look male but one never knows. Well then, maybe we'll have two  males interested in the nest and female (Asha) next year- which  will be a good thing, in  my opinion. May the best lad win the lady.

• Very abbreviated second visit by KL5:

scylla said:
    what's happened to all the good sticks at LG?

See what I mean?

It's definitely SYAL this time.

IMAGICAT

• @Cirrus Probably in a great pile around the base of this tree! LOL!!

Smiles, Jan.

• Latest Blog from LG, PM results on 1C1   my embolding

Hello bloggers,

We have had the initial results back from the tests run on the juvenile osprey 1C1. This osprey season has been one of great excitement and sadness. I believe the spectrum of emotions the birds inspire is why so many of us engage so passionately. Our ability to empathise and share in their successes and failures is what keeps me coming back each year.

I was away on leave when I received the news about the 1C1. It appeared from the webcam that they were generally lethargic and not feeding well for a few days leading up to when they collapsed.

This experience has tainted the remarkable season that we have had with the return of these birds but also shines a light on the struggles that ospreys face. It was difficult watching 1C1 struggle on the nest but being able to recover the body will give our team more closure than we experience from ospreys that never return from migration. Osprey’s need only to have one successful fledgling breed again to pass on their genes and we hope Asha and Axel will fledge many more chicks in the future.

After 1C1 died, we were able to retrieve the body to find the cause. Keeping in mind the current outbreak of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) this was carried out with very strict safety measures and full hazmat suits. The chick was then sent down to Edinburgh for testing.

We have now received the initial results. 1C1 tested negative for HPAI but did appear to have an enlarged liver which would suggest she was fighting an infection when she died. There was concern that a pathogen had been passed to 1C1 from the little grebe that was brought onto the nest. The footage makes it difficult to say if this was a contributing factor. Asha ate most of the little grebe head with 1C1 attempting to feed on it. Furthermore, the aggressive behaviour exhibited from 1C2 was also a likely factor in that he was more abrasive when competing for food. He was witnessed snapping and pecking at 1C1 and this may have contributed to her exhaustion and inability to feed.

Whatever the reason, it looked like a combination of factors could have led to 1C1 dying on the nest on Monday 8th. There are more tests being done so if we receive any more information, I will let you know. We are now going to wait and hope that 1C2 will not meet the same fate with both parents having already left.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Well if that is to be the end of the season, it's been a typically fluctuating one for LG. I know there are many questions left unanswered and concerns for the fate of 1C2 and what happened to 1C1, but overall I conclude it has been a success. Thanks probably to some significant site improvements, for the first time in years there has been a pair on this nest and they fledged young. They may have made mistakes (as our eyes see it), but they were first timers (at least AX6 is), so I hope if nothing else it has been a great learning year and they can come back next, probably earlier, as ospreys tend to return late in the early years, and have a more straightforward season in 2023. Here's hoping anyway.
    Thanks to all the contributors who help to keep lurkers like me informed. Safe travels Axel and Asha and hopefully 1C2.
  • Thanks for sharing the LG blog Sheila. Let's hope for a smoother year for the nest next year. It's a been a roller-coaster....
  • Korky It certainly has been a roller coaster for our newbie pair. They seemed to be learning and improving, but Axel's intermittent fish deliveries is concerning, and better nest making skills may be required!!
    Thank you Scylla and Bart for the news, pics and vids of KL5's early visit.
    I thought it interesting that Fergus has declared that Axel and Sasha/Mistle, and 1C2 have migrated now. If that's the case whose been feeding 1C2. Surely he's had some food from someone? I certainly think he has given up on his natal nest now which is so sad. I also feel sad that Axel and Asha hadn't really formed a 'relationship'. He rarely, if at all, spent relaxed time on the nest with Asha - the sort of thing we have come to enjoy at nests like RW and Glaslyn, unless of course he spent time on 'an out of our sight' perch.
    It will certainly be interesting next year if KL5 does decide to return and claim the nest. So far he has proved to be a very placid young man (2020). I loved the time he spent with 1C1, almost quizzically looking at her. It's a shame he didn't try to bring a fish to 1C2!!
    It rained quite heavily around midday, but the sun is out again now. No sign of any osprey, or wee birdies that I could see in a scan.

• Look what I have just found on YouTube!

Amazing.  Posted two weeks ago.  A video of a visit to LG, chicks on the nest, view of old and new nest, and the dead tree with Asha on it.