LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• I like how they took turns pecking near the cam mic. I saw many downy woodpeckers yesterday on my walk, just as industrious as this pair.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• I would just like to thank all contributors to this blog for making it such an interesting season and especially to the main ones who have supplied us so richly with regular updates and videos. What a season it has been, so many ups and downs. It was wonderful to actually get a pair of ospreys returning to the nest & to have two chicks initially. All the best to everyone and hopefully there will be a happy return to the nest in March/April 2023.Fingers crossed
  • bluesky2 said:
    I would just like to thank all contributors

Thank you, BLUESKY2 - it's so nice when an infrequent poster (not to say lurker) pops in and lets us know we've been useful Blush

While I'm here, I need for my own sake to announce that I'm off duty for a while as I need to collapse following the stress of finding my microwave/grill/combo oven deceased and trying to find a replacement.

SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Oh no, there is always something to sort, repair, look for or replace. Hope you get sorted soon. Enjoy your well deserved break from here but knowing you, you will be back here in a flash, pardon the pun but I hope that was not what happened with the microwave!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lynn L said:
    you will be back here in a flash, pardon the pun but I hope that was not what happened with the microwave!

No - I'd taken out my Thai curry to stir and adjust it, put it back in the microwave and realised all the lights were off and it was DEAD.  (Fuses etc checked - it's DEAD).  It was rather hot, too.  Replacement to be ordered from John Lewis but can't figure out a delivery date when Bro will be available so I can't order it yet.

I am lost!  What a come-down in my life to be so reliant.

IMAGICAT

• Now that's one way to save on electric
    Sorry about the oven Scylla
    Hope you are sorted soon good luck
  • New video by RSPB on the ringing of our osprey kids

• Thanks for posting Bart, a real treat to see this vid!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oh dear Scylla, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your microwave. We become so reliant on white goods around us these days. Dependant too on our electricity to drive almost everything. It's still warm enough to live on salads for now, but I hope it won't be long before it is replaced and working.

Thank you Bart for posting the link to the ringing vid. How lovely to see 1C2 returning from his first flight and 1C1 greeting him. I have come across Ian Perks before, with news of his ringing elsewhere. What I didn't know was that he was/is an LG Warden and Conservation Manager at Abernethy. Apart from ringing LG nests in the past, he was with RD collecting chicks for the Poole translocation project among other things.

Edit  I have just looked at the vid again.  The dialogue on the bottom of the vid said that one chick sadly died from salmonella poisoning just before fledging.  I know my memory is crap these days, but didn't 1C1 fledge, albeit briefly.  One large circular flight 

I have just checked, and yes, 1C1 did fledge.  She fledged later on the same morning as 1C2. 

Thursday 4 August   09.54.50  1C1 fledged and landed on the dead tree.

10.17  Asha/Mistle landed on the dead tree on a lower branch than 1C1

11.52  1C1 was still on the dead tree

12.18  1C2 flew over to the dead tree and landed below her

12.33  1C1 returned to the nest.

I don't think she left the nest again, and so tragically died at 12.34hrs Monday 8 July 2022.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Bart molenaar said:

New video by RSPB on the ringing of our osprey kids

www.youtube.com/watch

Very poignant to see IC1 and her leg ring