LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• I know this is all speculation, but I found an interesting post on the Forum from 2018 on a friendly buzzard which kept returning to a garden.  A discussion then ensued about feeding it, and salmonella, at Rutland, came up, here.

Gardenbirder wrote the comment, so I hope she is still following the thread and is able to explain more!! 

Not sure what your chances are of attracting Ospreys, more likely Red Kites!  However, should you put out any fish, cooked or not, chicken as well, might be best to retrieve any not eaten after 24 hours or so.  The issue is that Salmonella can kill birds and animals (and people)--that was one of the problems in the early days of translocation of Ospreys to Rutland Water. They did not remove old fish and one year many of the translocated young Ospreys died of Salmonella poisoning!  Since then, they remove any uneaten fish although I am unsure as to just when--am just presuming something like 24 hours, but it might be even less than that.  If juvenile Ospreys are fed at least twice a day, then perhaps they remove old fish every time they introduce new fish. With luck, someone will tell us!

However, I am not sure that fish were left on our nest for long enough to pick up salmonella or to be growing it, unless it came from a fish from Rothiemurchus where I think I recall Axel was seen fishing.  But another question comes - why only 1C1 and not Asha or 1C2?  Perhaps we can look forward to a more informative 'update' from the official report.  The VC did add "and we will keep you up to date with any further news."

A nice clear afternoon at LG

and a few tens of a second later  LOL

It stayed on the top left side, while a wee birdie cheeped out of sight

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I find it quite easy, now, to understand how 1C1 could pick up salmonella from the nest. If you remember, some of the fish Axel brought to the nest was stale, already stiff as a board, so the clock was already ticking. 1C2 was usually well fed straight away, but often 1C1 was left to scrounge around for any fish scraps he could find. Some of these could have been very old indeed, and have been well trampled on by the adults. Add hot weather to the mix, and the stage is set.

Smiles, Jan.

• 08 September

A hasty snap off a screen recording I only just set going, how lucky!  The bird has gone already but I'll investigate later with more tarting up.  Jay?

IMAGICAT

• Wattle15 said:
    often 1C1 was left to scrounge around for any fish scraps

I mentioned this a day or week ago (can't find it) when mulling over the mystery of 1C1 being the only one infected.

Another thing I meant to respond to was the report that, at Rutland, leftover fish were not removed from the cages - wow, that's hard to believe at first, but I suppose the protocol demanded least interference ??? ??? ???

IMAGICAT

• I can't recall any specific issues along the lines of this discussion I'm afraid. I do know about the losses in the first year but beyond that I'm not aware of any reports re illness. Other factors such as power line strikes etc. yes.
    Sorry I can't throw any more light on the subject.
  • Mike B said:
    I can't throw any more light on the subject.

Thanks for looking, Mike.  (You didn't hear from me cos I could see that Sheila was going to prod you Kissing heart  )

Here were the Great Tits and Jay - extracts - I did the sound but in the end uploaded the original cos of distortions and far fewer tweets than we'd normally expect.

IMAGICAT

• This cam and Goshawk buffering a lot.

EDIT - I was just going to report @ 11:23 that it had recovered, but now it's buffering again..  I shall have to switch the downloader off, otherwise I'll have to be watching it all the time when there are other nests to tend!

IMAGICAT

• Woody's on the perch/nest.

IMAGICAT

• Wattle and Scylla, you are both of course quite right by saying 1C1 was always late to the 'trough', very much kept away by 1C2. So I guess it's very much a case of wrong place, wrong time.
    Thank you Mike for posting your thoughts. Good to hear from you.

It's looking very grey at LG, and surprisingly windless.

Off piste, but I can't help but say how sad I am about the news from Buckingham Palace on Her Majesty today. "Under her doctors' supervision. Comfortable at Balmoral", but announced from Buckingham Palace must make it important. Charles and Camilla, Anne, Edward & Sophie, Andy, and William are with her. Harry is apparently on his way, without Meghan.

• RIP Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.