LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Just a few scattered thoughts on the current situation and ospreys in general: Thirst can be a real issue before fledging, agreed. However, once mobile, a chick can certainly find fresh water, and actually can drink. On migration he will encounter much hotter climes than Scotland, so will need more moisture than can be provided just from the food he eats, so I don't think dying of thirst is an issue for 1C2.

Females don't ALWAYS leave before the juveniles. I can remember one year EJ had two female chicks she seemed particularly fond off. She brought one chick a fish and spent time with her on the nest before that chick departed. She then brought another fish for her favorite daughter, and waited, and waited, and waited, until it became obvious to EJ that she had already left. I don't remember if she ate that fish or not, but EJ was never one to waste a scrap of food. From memory, which can be faulty, I think she left very soon afterwards, and there was conjecture over whether she would try to catch up with her daughter.. I think that would have been sishful thinking, but it's a nice thought, isn't it?
  • Wattle15 said:
    Thirst can be a real issue

I can't remember who brought it up but my impression was that they were referring to the fluids obtained thru fish.

You're quite right (not that you need me to tell you that Stuck out tongue winking eye ), Ospreys on migration can survive days without food or water.  I'd be worried if he started out after days without fish, though.  I wonder what age the youngest-known migrator has been?

This is where Richard Thaxton's favourite exortation comes back to me: "Please be patient" - and the fact that patience is not one of my virtues means nothing, because we've got no choice.

Lovely story about EJ - must have been before my time?

• I've been watching here since 2008.  Migrated here with a group of ladies from a parchment craft group called "Arthritic Grannies".  There are still a few of the original group watching.  Hello Ladies!Stuck out tongue winking eye

• I've just been back and watched CRinger's blog "Living My Dream" from 2004. What a historic blog that is!
  • Wattle15 said:
    Migrated here with a group of ladies from a parchment craft group called "Arthritic Grannies"

We do have an expert parchment lady here (or we used to, up until this sad season) but she'd never have met the Arthritic Grannies' criteria, I think Hugging

Wattle15 said:
    I've just been back and watched CRinger's blog "Living My Dream" from 2004.

A wonderful blog - with permission I've got it saved in my YT Channel, just in case anything ever happens to CRinger's copy.

19 June

No-one seen up to 05:45.

• Fly-in to percch - from a distance it looks like KL5, he's now on the nest pottering.

Need to check, can't see fer lookin' at the mo.
  • Morning all
    LOOK'S LIKE THAT'S IT FOR THIS SEASON
    Looking forward to bird feeder and 1c1 report?? RIP
  • Definitely KL5
    6:56 on dead tree
    6:57 to the nest
    7:09 away and probably (who else could it be) appearing on the dead tree

And bringing nest material to the nest at 7:40 (couldn't get a better picture because of the sun)

• KL5's first visit - and when I was doing that, he returned and is there now:

He's gone again now.  I'm not doing another video yet, it's my clocking-off time - I don't know whether to hope that 1C2 appears or not Disappointed relieved

SYAL.