LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    1C2 is back on the nest.  He seems to have found himself a scrap

I knew that was wrong within a minute of posting but was packing up when I had second thoughts, just didn't have any oomph left to pick up the laptop again - sorry folks!

1C2 was doing well with the fish and didn't welcome Asha's arrival:

I can't work it out if 1C2 ate all the fish or dropped some, but there was none left for Asha, who pottered and picked about the nest, eventually leaving.

Not long after that Axel arrived with a goodish stick and stayed 25 minutes!

Next was 1C2, had a prance for 5 minutes:

Then Axel flew in from the dead tree - apparently to defend?  His fly-off only served to make me even more nervous about his intentions Astonished

15:20 1C2 settled down to watch and wait:

15:52 Asha arrived with half a whopper, she's still feeding 1C2:

Once again, apologies for the error at packing up time.

IMAGICAT

• In the chat someone observed the darker chest too, but it might be the light of course, 1c2 ‘s eyes are very amber coloured in this light, while yesterday I though the were still pretty yellow in full sunlight
  • BART - I've posted in Osprey Chat for you Hugging

IMAGICAT

• A slight update

16.27 Asha feeds him the fin tail and he finishes it on his own.  Asha cleans her beak which he fights the fin tail. 

1.6.29  He tries to down it, but fails.  So starts again

16.31    Down it goes!

16.32    He cleaned his beak and flew to the top of the dead tree.  Asha picked up dropped bits, cleaned her beak.

16.33    1C2 moved to the left top perch on the dead tree.  Asha prowled the nest, cleaned her beak.  1C2 could be heard calling.

16.36    1C2 left the dead tree, did a circle around it and flew off to the left.  Asha watching something in the sky behind the cam.

16.53      1C2 returned to the nest, joining Asha. Axel landed with a fish. I think Asha got it initially, but 1C2 managed to grab it after going beak to beak with Asha.    Axel flew off.  Asha fell to the floor in a total submissive manner.  1C2  nattered, with the fish in his talons.  Asha got up and tried tot get it, but he beaked her off again.  Oh dear, Poor Asha.  She is looking very submissive again.  It's what he did to 1C1. 

16.55     1C2 tucks into his fish, with breaks to look around.  Asha stands by, waiting.

16.57      A pause and quiet.

17.03    1C2 is having a shut eye!!  Asha stands proud near him and does the same.

I'm off now.

In real time we have two osprey on the dead tree, and ENS.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    16.53      1C2 returned to the nest, joining Asha. Axel landed with a fish. I think Asha got it initially, but 1C2 managed to grab it after going beak to beak with Asha.    Axel flew off.  Asha fell to the floor in a total submissive manner.  1C2  nattered, with the fish in his talons.  Asha got up and tried tot get it, but he beaked her off again.  Oh dear, Poor Asha.  She is looking very submissive again.  It's what he did to 1C1. 

I wondered if Asha detected an intruder - very strange for her to lie down like that.

Some little clips from that fish to bedtime:

A floppy kipper:

IMAGICAT

• Beautiful foggy morning with Asha and 1c2 waiting for breakfast

• Well, that answers my question.  I haven't dared follow this nest too frequently not wanting to sorrow , so I didn't know about  1C1 and I can't bear to back track to find out why the chick demised.

Thank you Sheila  - fancy mum and  juvie having to fight over a fish !   The best that  can be said is at least this nest is attracting Ospreys. and hopefully, maybe, if Axel is around next year he'll do better.

• I'm away for a few days but here's a nice view of an empty nest

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• First in - noisy 1C2:

Then:

Asha brought a twig:

This is to represent a few small birds from 09:45 for 15 minutes or so - too dark to see them properly - this flitter-by is an eye test Smile 

Axel brought theeee most awful stick:

1C2 sat patiently for a while:

Off and back now waiting:

IMAGICAT