LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CATLADY your post moved me to tears and BART and KORKY I was moved by yours too There have indeed been ups and do .....wns nd along with others I have have vowed never to watch again especally my first year of 2011 when I was only watching this nest and the 2 chicks were tagged and we excitetedly followed their migration and then one by one they disappeared I grieved as if I had lost a family member and could concentate on nothing else......but then I was back again the following year and every year since..........and this forum is a great source of pleasure Thank you everyone
  • It's good to have you back again Patily!! I hope you are feeling more yourself once more.
  • 12.56.46   The tail end goes down.

12.59        1C2 looks for dropped pieces, and cleaned his beak

13.00         Asha moved towards him also in search of dropped pieces, but 1C2 was ready to peck her.

13.03         In a glitch, Asha suddenly took off to the right.  1C2 flew to the left

13.04        Asha returned to the perch 

13.05         She dropped to the nest, chattered to herself and looked for dropped pieces of fish.

13.17         Asha starts calling and backing up.

#2 FISH   Axel arrived, closely followed by 1C2 with #2 FISH  large headless

Claimed by Asha, who starts to feed 1C2. 

13.18         Axel flew.  Asha fed 1C2

13.23  One beakful for 1C2, two for Asha!

13.26  Asha looked up and called, then flew off.  She took the fish with her.  1C2 searched for dropped fish.

13.27  1C2 called, cleaned his beak, looked for bits!

13.30  He lifted up and flew across the nest in search of more bits.  Our internet keeps dropping out, thus the stilted stream I am having.

13.32 He lifted off, perhaps accidently, but took a few small twiggy sticks with him.  He has gone.

• 13.45 1C2 returned, and called to no one.
    13.56 Asha returned with the fish. 1C2 tried to take it, but she wouldn't let go. He pecked her face and tried again. She faux fed him to stop him!!
    13.57 One way to stop him, but another is to feed him, and that's what she did!!
  • I'm going now to tend my dying garden!! There is plenty of dead heading to be done.
  • SheilaFE said:
    I've looked thru it at least four times, and in slomo, but there is a glitch in transmission

Thank goodness you said that!  There are a lot of glitches in my downloads, I've been going spare thinking it was "me", as my system is in a dreadful state lately anyway.

Just needed to log that, now will plough on with catching up...

• Thank you so much for your kind words Sheila and Patily, sorry did not mean to make you Sleepy
    How lovely to have you back Patily, I hope you are feeling much better and are enjoying the Osprey's once again , despite the recent sadness.
    Yes we are all a family here, sticking together, following our beloved birds, no matter what happens. Okay I will stop there, as I do not want you Sleepy again .

The boy is there when the fish arrives, squawking as well, piggy indeed according to Sheila!

Lovely photos and videos in the sun/moon light, thak you all.
  • FISH!

A minnow from Axel at 21.37. IC2 dashes in to claim it, makes a good fist of self feeding but flies off with it after a couple of minutes. Think he's in the dead tree now, eating

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Where Korky, no one on nest just now?