LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• To all at RSPB Loch Garten, I am so sorry to read about 1C1. Such a sad day and all of you must be devastated. Thinking of everyone there and of all Osprey enthusiasts.
  • With apologies, but I had to watch 'catch-up' to try to understand what happened.  It was gruelling,   She looked as though on at least three occasions she was trying to bring up or put down something in her gullet.  I wonder whether she had a fishing hook stuck there which was why she only wanted very little food.

I am pleased that LG is arranging a PM and will remove her body tomorrow morning.  Perhaps it will give some answers and closure.

I see that life just went on around her, such is nature.

12.49  #1 FISH  Asha brought in one of her whoppers.  Where on earth is Axel???  She was followed by 1C2.  While she appeared to be looking for 1C1, 1C2 was fighting for the fish

12.50 she started to feed 1C2, breaking off to look around for 1C1 (I assume)

13.15  1C2 had had enough and cleaned his beak, while Asha tucked into her fish.

13.16  1C2 flew off, and Asha continued eating.

13.25  Asha called to herself, or calling for 1C1?

13.30  She stopped eating and called again, looking all around.  1C2 responded to her call and returned to the nest.  She went back to eating the fish, without offering him any.

13.35  She downed the tail fin.  She looked for dropped bits and finished them too.

13.37  1C2 calls for more.  Asha steps near 1C1 and moves some large sticks to the rim

13.39  Asha starts to call.  Is Axel near by?  No sign of him.

14.00 Asha calls again.

14.08 #2 FISH  Axel arrives with a fish.  Asha backed over 1C1, and having got it she leaves with the fish.  Axel is on the nest on his own.

He cleans his beak and a noisy 1C2 arrives.  Axel leaves!

14.10 1C2 lies down close to 1C1, but I doubt he see the body as  his sibling.  Neither Asha nor Axel appeared to realise it was their chick.

14.18 IC2 dozes

14.21 He starts to call, in between shut-eye.

14.22 Asha returned with #2 Fish, which is quite a monster.

14.23 Asha holds on to the fish, and starts to feed piggy 1C2.

14.48 Feeding continues

14.50  1C2 chattered to Asha, and flew off.  She watched him go to the totem/stick tree and then continued eating the fish.

15.16  Asha stopped eating, and looked around anxiously (says me!)

15.25  She starts calling and looking around again.  There is still plenty of fish left for 1C2.  Piggy 1C2 calls in return, but for now stays put on the stick tree.  Asha starts eating again.

15.30  He couldn't resist it.  1C2 returns calling excitedly and lines up for food.  Mum obliges in between bites for herself.  Down to the difficult bit, but manages to feed them both.   There must be more left than it looks.

15.47  1C2 flew off.  Asha looked around her again, still holding on to some fish, took a few more bites and then paused, presumably waiting for 1C1 to appear.

16.25  She calls weakly again.

16.28  Piggy returned again and immediately begged for more food.  Asha obliges again.

16.43  1C2 flies off again.  Asha continued eating.

16.51  She pauses again, and looks around, snoozes occasionalyl

17.04  Axel lands!!  He attempted to take the fish and she pecks him.  He tries again and she goes towards him, he backs off.  Another attempt and she pecked his head.

17.06  Another attempt and another peck.  He turns his back on her and she dragged the fish to the left side of the nest in front of 1C21.  She 'talks' to him all the time.

17.07  Oh well, let's tidy the nest a bit and sneak up.  That doesn't work either.

17.11  Asha flew off with the fish.  And returned quickly.  1C2 can be heard calling in response tto her gentle calls.

17.12  Axel didn't attempt to take the fish again, and flew off.  Asha had some more fish.

17.27  Returned and trrid to get the fish again.  She was having nothing of it and flew off with the fish.  Axel briefly looked down on 1C1's body and walked passed her.  Someone is now on the totem tree, but I'm not sure who it is.  1C2 can be heard calling.  Axel tidies up the debris on the nest.. 

17.29  Ah, it's 1C2 on the tree. Asha returns.  Axel grabs the fish.  Asha won't let go.  He tries to fly off lifting her leg up, but after a tussle she lets go

17.30  1C2 comes storming in, yelling for fish.  Asha finds scraps.

17.43  Asha is calling.  1C2 lay down beside 1C1, and looks for left overs.

18.01  Asha is yelling!

18.27  1C2 is calling for fish.  Asha crop dropped and looks around.  She sees something, and flies off, leaving 1C2

18.28  1C2 also leaves.  We are left with the oh so sad sight of 1C2's body

Such a sad sad day, losing two chicks.  One from the future generation of osprey in the south of England, and our 1C1 from the home of the start of the resurgence of osprey in Scotland in the 50s

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I must apologise for the constant changes in tense!! 

There have been some beautiful comments about 1C1.  It is so reassuring that we are in this together.  Hugs to one and all.

• We are Sheila, so so sad for us and LG, and Asha and Axel, still can't get over it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Just adding my own sadness, and condolences to All. What a shame. Usually we seem to lose the tiny chicks when they're at their most vulnerable and easily weakened. It seems shocking to lose this girl when she was just about to become an adult.

Thankfully, as usual in the animal kingdom, the parents have no choice but to get on with things
  • No worries about tense changes, Sheila! I'm just grateful for your concise summary. I hope the necropsy will shed some light on the cause of poor 1C1's death.
  • I was there just after the chicks both hatched. There was such a sense of optimism around. I have followed the nest daily since then and feel very sad indeed. My thoughts are with the whole team there at LG.
  • Unknown said:
    I hope the necropsy will shed some light on the cause of poor 1C1's death.

The only possible external cause that comes to my mind is the fishing line on 13 July, some of which 1C2 appeared to pull out of the nest on the 29th. Was there a hook attached that's sat quietly waiting to strike?  Did the twine "ball up" and cause an obstruction?  I don't really think that played any part, but it's all I can think of.

Here are scenes from 1C1's whole morning until her sad, untimely death.  The end is really awful to watch, I was shocked, so please don't watch if you don't want to be even more upset.

(I tried and tried to do something about the wind but it was hopeless, the whole soundtrack ends up distorted no matter what I do.  However, the wind mercifully does drown out 1C1's little cries at the end.)

IMAGICAT

• Very sad, but after watching the video I think we can take some consolation in the fact that the end came very quickly and she didn't appear to spend a long time suffering.

Richard B

• I agree Scylla, that one possible cause is a fishing line or hook. Or some intestinal infestation. The fact she appeared to be trying to get rid of something may be significant.
    Thank you for the vid. For historical reference.
    I hope you are feeling slightly better, despite today's awful news.