LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Thankyou Scylla for that lovely wee clip, so beautiful, tears again, just so gutted.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I can't believe what I'm reading. My last post, I thought, gave signs of 'hope' and I went out. I'm just back and am so very upset. Nature can rally be so cruel.
    I think we all 'felt' something wasn't quite right, and clearly that has proved to be the case. She was such a pretty chick, with such a sweet demeanour.
    I feel for you Catlady, watching it all live. So harrowing. I sincerely hope 'they' recover the body and have an autopsy done on her to find out what might have been the cause. She has been looking under the weather rather than seriously ill. It is no use speculating, however.

Edit: I see they have officially said they would be doing an autopsy which is a good thing.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• patily said:
    Did somebody take IC1 away I hope they can bury her at the project

Patily:  the VC reported on Chat (with the live cam) that tomorrow morning they would black out the cam and remove her body for an autopsy.  This is just so unbelievable.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I have followed the LG nest since the start of EJ’s and Odin’s partnership and was so upset by the last few sad years after Odin’s loss, that I stopped watching…
    I was so pleased to hear about the new nest and the new young partnership of Mistle/Asha and AX6. Doubts about AX6’s provisioning abilities seemed to disappear once he had hungry chicks on the nest.

Today I read that FH1 did not survive the Goshawk attack, now I read that 1C1 has died on the nest - so, so sad Disappointed

So sorry for all the people who have worked so hard to get Ospreys nesting again at LG (and indeed the translocation project at Poole Harbour). These nests are still wonderful success stories.
    Wishing the best of luck to the surviving fledglings and their parents.
  • I ‘ve just found out the incredibly sad news. I never expected this to happen, thinking dear 1C1 would get well again. My sincerest condolences to you all and everyone involved. Broken heartRainbow
  • What a sad day. Poole Harbour’s sad news and now this. RIP little ones.. Thoughts and wishes to all the project staff and the nest cam watchers.
  • Asha called and called until 1c2 arrived just before 4.30 and she fed him until he had had enough and flew off She ate a few morsels herself and after a while started calling again IC2 came back towards the nest but did not land I wonder if dear Asha is hoping 1C1 will appear?
  • I honestly don’t think so patily..
    I’m not sure how it is with the big birds, but having observed (too many) losses with my cats, it actually helps 1c1 lying dead in the nest.
    I once forgot to let my cat say ‘farewell’ and he was searching for hours… usually they just sniff at the dead body and then it’s done and okay…

Actually I observed her feeding 1c2 as if nothing was amiss.. and I was thinking… yeah.. life goes on..
    But as I said.. it might be totally different with birds
  • From RSPB Loch Garten Facebook page
    'We're sad to have to tell you that at lunch-time today the female chick, Blue 1C1, died on the Loch Garten nest. She had been lethargic for a couple of days and our worst fears were realised, when whatever it was that has been ailing her, proved fatal.
    We are going to be removing her from the nest tomorrow morning at around 11am. The camera will be temporarily switched off and the Nature Centre will be closed until we have done so. We apologise for any inconvenience.
    Such a sad day. Thank you for all your messages of support.
    Here she is earlier on in July, trying to feed herself for the first time. Feeling heartbroken'

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Asha on nest, 5.27 Axel lands, she was not happy with him, lunging toward him and he was backing off. Is this the first time he has been back? Asha leaves, Axel looking around and at poor 1C1. Asha back at 5.29 with a fish, must have been stashed. He tried to take it from her she was having none of it, fish caught in her talons, he tries to fly off and nearly took her with him! Eventually flies and 1C2 returns. 1C2 lying down now and Asha screeching non stop.

Edit, scrolled back, Axel returned, I think for the 1st time, since poor 1C1 passed at 5.04, he was trying to look and move toward the chick but Asha would not letting him, lunging at him, she moved away and he was trying to look again. Almost as if she was not wanting him to go near and was protecting her? So terribly sad.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.