Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 July 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a healthy, safe, and joyful week!

I had a pack of coyotes on my patch today--very close to the house. I think they appeared because a mother raccoon was relocating her babies from one nest to a new one. They have reached "fledgling" age (to use a bird term). The sow raccoon birthed her babies late this year. Normally, the young would be older by this time.

All of the wildlife are in a quandary because it's the July 4th holiday weekend, and everyone is shooting off fireworks. 

Take care, all.

• Good Morning. Dry here, and steadily warmer temps predicted for this week, so not packing anything warm for our trip! I see I forgot to wish all our USA friends a Happy 4th July celebration yesterday.

Sorry to hear about the dreadful flooding in Aus, AQ. Shocking figures, and we have film clips of towns affected, not for the first time sadly.

Rusty, you had a nice day & a good lunch! Strawberries fresh from the garden are such a treat.
  • Morning all; Have read all the news and hope everyone is surviving various events, medical and otherwise. Please forgive lack of individual responses.

My Bro-in-law has started the process of moving my sister to a facility in Sleaford where the family can pop in several times a day while we await the ever-elusive home care package of four visits a day. He is beyond shattered at driving to and from Boston every day. Niece arrived back here with her dog yesterday afternoon so she and I will be going to Boston late mornings and BiL will go late afternoons. On top of all the stress it is costing them hundreds of pounds in gasoline for the trip, which my Bil has now been making every day for 7 weeks. As soon as they can transfer my sister, I'll have to book a flight for home as things are beginning to pile up there, if not go sideways.... Sister continues to improve, is very alert and is now worrying about her OH and daughter and all the driving. Meanwhile, the hospice staff has warned us things can change very quickly. In between hospice trips, I've been helping BiL in the garden and in the evenings, niece and I are huddling over a Murder on the Nile-themed jigsaw that has no picture of the finished product, just a 10-page or so story that is supposed to help solve things. Neither of us has read it.

Take care everyone.
  • Thanks for finding the time to give us an update, Annette - we are all still thinking of you & your family, daily. I do know that they to have to warn you that very ill people can take a turn for the worst very suddenly. Not easy for you to plan anything at the moment, I'm sure.

Great that your sister can be moved nearer to home- it will be a big help. Your b in law must be glad of the help in the garden and otherwise. Keep on looking after yourself, too.

• Can I join with Lindy in thanking you Annette for taking the time to give us an update about your sister. It must be such a difficult time for you all.
    AQ - I too have seen the photos of the flooding around Sydney, it’s awful and I do feel sorry for all the affected people. I hope you were able to help out at your daughters without getting too tired.
    I went shopping to the local town this morning. It took me ages because I kept bumping into people I know and having long chats with them!! I often say that going to our local Tesco is like going to a social club. I have lived around here for 40 years now. I think it’s lovely and I didn’t mind being delayed at all. Finally the sun has come out after the drizzle this morning.
  • Rusty - It's always nice to have a gossip when out and about. You're lucky to have Iived there for so long. People seem to move around so much these days.

Have packed, gardened and watched tennis today. Am increasingly turning off the TV News - its all been so grim lately and now we have a political crisis here, too. Grr. Want to bang all their heads together and shout "Get On With It!" -- all politicans are the same, full of themselves and not really effective . Sorry, rant over!!
  • LINDA - Have a safe & enjoyable visit to family.

ANNETTE – Thanks for the update despite your busy time with Sis.

I’ll be back later to report on my “good deeds” day. Food shopping this morn. I hope it warms up before I go – it’s 2.9 C outside.

• Chores with Dau report. First, a phone call as her OH had not done the complete shopping list over weekend. Of course I said I would detour to supermarket to get chicken, pasta & stock. Sort of vital if one is making chicken & veggie & pasta soup! She decided to perch on a stool at kitchen bench to chop veggies, while I “fetched & carried” ingredients, pan, knife, herbs from garden, etc. It took a while as I had no idea where most were stored – I open fridge or cupboard & peer around wondering where what I want is lurking. Soup simmering (double batch), it’s time to strip MissJ’s bed, gather washing & start machine. Previous wash, still on airers, has to be folded & sorted into piles for each person. Fortunately most items are labelled with Trio’s names. I set aside socks & knickers for Dau to sort. Check soup. Hang new load of washing. Eat lunch. Dau decants soup into containers for evening meal, freezer and a small tub for me to take home. I reached home 2 pm very tired to find OH was out for lunch. Dau’s soup was very welcome for our tea. Curious, my back is sore this morn. . .

Dau’s ankle & foot look nasty even though most bruising faded. She can sort-of walk on it but tires easily as she found over the weekend when she attempted too much. Trio have been good at fetching & helping when not at school. Next week school holidays.

PS. It's nearly 8 C, time for shopping "escape".

• Annette: I'm glad that your sister is improving. I so hope that your family can get the home care package in place right away if that will be the best option for all of you. All of that traveling must be so demanding and tiring for your family. Thinking of you. Have a safe and delay-free flight home when you can go.

Lindy: I hope your OH will get good medical results. I know you're worried. Have a good journey and a lovely time with your family.

OG: Nice to see you! Thinking of you.

AQ: Wow. You had a busy day. You must have built up some good karma for all your good deeds. I would have been tired at the end, too. Hope your daughter improves.

bjane: I hope the storms miss you.

All: Sorry for my lack of replies. I haven't been able to accomplish much. The "feels like" temperature was 109F or 43C here today. The "feels like" temperature is the heat index, which is the measure of actual temp with our high humidity. I don't have an air conditioner anymore. I'll be back when I have more energy. 

• Wish I could send Diane cooler air. Good Morning.

My OH is just walking Bonnie before dropping her off at his sisters, and then we will make a picnic bag for our journey down south. Will write when we get there.

AQ -- Well done on managing to help out: your daughters ankle sounds seriously poorly. As you say, maybe she did too much too soon on it and it's not helped. I hope that as its going to be the school holidays soon she won't do too much.