LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

• FISH #1 - Headless Whopper?

• I haen't found another fish but Mistle had a huge struggle with a big (that's guessing) stick lasting many minutes:

• Following my email also had replies:
    You need to read it starting at the bottom up!

Hello Fergus

I am disappointed that you say you are not going to include Mistle as a name choice and even though there is a limited choice of names you have chosen these presumably just as you also chose to not include Mistle.

You appear to have made this decision based on an initial joke and it is a pity that perhaps you did not seek the opinion of the RSPB forum community before hand as they do have very valued opinions which give us all so much data in respect of the Loch Garten nest.

Regards
    Lyn

My CLT-L09. On O2.

-------- Original message --------
    Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022, 11:54

Subject: RE: Naming the LG female
    Hello Lyn,

This is not a joke and we will not be selecting new names for these birds. If you choose to call the bird Mistle then that is your prerogative. There are many who have already voted and adding a new name is not possible. If you want to come into the centre and discuss this with me personally you are welcome to. I will be returning to work next week.

Kind regards,

Fergus

Sent: 06 July 2022 11:30
    To: Fergus Cumberland <Fergus.Cumberland@rspb.org.uk>
    Subject: Re: Naming the LG female

Hello Fergus

Thank you for your reply.

I represent both groups you refer to having visited Loch Garten, Manton Bay, Loch of The Lowes, Balgavies and I am currently at the Dyfi Osprey Project, visiting Llyn Clwedog today and first week in August Glaslyn Valley with all 4 nests there and also a visit to Llyn Brenig, where I speak to various on the ground people from the public, osprey project officers and volunteers! I also participate on the virtual side RSBP forums and look at live Web cams for all of the nests! I therefore understand totally where you are coming from and do not see an issue for the female bird at Loch Garten to be considered for the name Mistle! It sounds like from your blog that the dismissal of the name, was reached through joking around rather than a sensible approach!

I would therefore suggest that Mistle is included in the name choice.

Are you also considering renaming the Mistle thrush incase it sounds like missile?

I await your your non joking explanation as there are a lot of people not finding this funny at all!

Regards

Lyn

My CLT-L09. On O2.

-------- Original message --------
    Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022, 09:57

Cc: Membership <Mem@rspb.org.uk>
    Subject: Naming the LG female

Hello Lyn,

This was our experience on the ground and I am sorry that you have found this upsetting. I have a responsibility to the physical community I find around me on a daily basis and also the virtual one that I get to share these ospreys with. Sometimes these two groups don’t see eye to eye and this is what happens when that occurs. I’m sure what ever name is chosen for the female it won’t change the excitement we feel from experiencing these birds at Loch Garten.

Kind regards,

Fergus Cumberland | he/his
    Visitor Operations Manager

fergus.cumberland@rspb.org.uk

01479 831 476 | 07741 232 726 | Monday-Friday

The RSPB avocet brand mark

RSPB Abernethy
    RSPB Loch Garten Nature Centre
    Nethybridge
    PH25 3HA

Dear Team

Disgusted and upset to see this load of rubbish about the name Mistle being confused with missile!!
    The name Mistle should be included on the list please immediately ensure this name is included on the list!

Lyn
    My CLT-L09. On O2.
  • LAM said:
    Following my email also had replies:
    You need to read it starting at the bottom up!

There are many who have already voted and adding a new name is not possible. I

The only comment I have is BULL****. 

Sorry.

The blog was not high in my estimations and has now sunk without trace.

• To think MY creation is now treated with such disdain to its followers beggars belief,
    I was proud I created it, but horrified now as to its content.
  • RSPB:The diary,which later became your blog was DESIGNED to inform Loch Garten webcam viwers about the interpretation of what they saw on the nest - and what they didn't see that we could see from the centre. It was innovative and thenumberof followers the diary had amazed RSPB. You dishonour all of those on this forum who faithfully contribute day after day their observations with your ... sorry LIES. It is perfectly possible to add a new name if you wish to do so. A new blog announcing this would be sufficient. Amendment of a webpage for votes is easy. Don't lie to us. Your comments are not worthy of the reasons why my diary was instigated and the people who follow its continutation. Shame on you.
    I happy to be banned from this site if I offend you. I will refer to it in my upcoming book.
  • Oh dear, Fergus - It's getting out of hand.  I can't help thinking that "you"  should have given the naming job to the local school-children again.

• CRinger said:
    RSPB:The diary,which later became your blog was DESIGNED to inform Loch Garten webcam viwers about the interpretation of what they saw on the nest - and what they didn't see that we could see from the centre. It was innovative and thenumberof followers the diary had amazed RSPB. You dishonour all of those on this forum who faithfully contribute day after day their observations with your ... sorry LIES. It is perfectly possible to add a new name if you wish to do so. A new blog announcing this would be sufficient. Amendment of a webpage for votes is easy. Don't lie to us. Your comments are not worthy of the reasons why my diary was instigated and the people who follow its continutation. Shame on you.
    I happy to be banned from this site if I offend you. I will refer to it in my upcoming book.

Your diary is a masterpiece. 

• So we are expected to accept that the reason MISTLE was rejected as an option was because it could possibly be mispronounced?

Yet this is OK? " Dileab - A Gaelic word, pronounced 'jeel-eep', meaning legacy, which could be a fitting name for a female raising the next generation of ospreys"

Wat absolute garbage! In an English speaking environment there would not be a single day when this name is not mispronounced and made a joke of!!!.
  • Lunchtime, Mistle had quite a long flyabout and returned with a stick, which I hope you can just see!

I think this was Axel bringing a fish - and leaving without it, of course:

19:17 unseen FISH:

I don't think there were any more but earlier ones may have been missed.

I just fell asleep over my "work" so had better pack up!  SYAL.