LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• It's the IR light i was referring to on top of the tower

Only the staff at LG would know why the PTZ cam is not in use

• Following the email that I sent to RSPB regarding the naming of MISTLE, I have received a reply. Both attached for you to read.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Sounds like a fudge to me. They want to be the ones responsible for the naming and couldn't face the prospect of those regular contributors to this forum taking on that mantle, and so didn't include Mistle in the list of names although it has been used constantly for well over 12 months now.
  • It sounds to me that someone very vocal has a political correctness thing about missile and has used it to be a reason to reject the name Mistle.

I presume now that they will be re-naming the Mistle Thrush as well.

ColinA

• Cringer, that was quite a 'blast from the past'!
    You had quite a following due to your way with words. No wonder you were swamped with emails. As I remember, it was quite revolutionary to use emails for voting too.
    I'm the Moyra from your list by the way, aka Deveronside.
  • deveronside, I suspect he has gained a new following now too. Our paths crossed her some years ago, and I love hearing about his experiences!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    I don't think there is a light on either the PTZ/treecam. I belive there was IR on both nestcam and the PTZ/tree cam but I could be wrong. I don't remember why it wasn't used this season on the nest cam.

There's no IR on the PTZ, we used to sit thru dark nights waiting for sunrise - this was "Mistle on campost pre-dawn" last year:

From my hazy memory:

2022 season - HQ advised us that, after consultation with Roy Dennis, they were taking certain measures this season to minimise any possible disturbance to visiting Ospreys - included in those measures was the non-activation of IR and zoom on the nest cam, as well as the non-use of the PTZ, movement of which they thought could be detected by the birds, but I can't remember if the PTZ is actually fit to be used or if it needed attention.

I thought they said that they might reinstate full features of the cams after chicks were on the nest (can't remember what stage, if any was mentioned) so that the female would be less likely to abandon due to any click or whirr or IR Indicator light.

SANDRA, I didn't see your post last night quoting the Chat post re something I went on to repeat, sorry - that was me having the RF open too long again.

EDIT

05 July "Summary-haha"

FISH !!! !!! !!!  (Confident, could see feed afterwards.)

Axel crash-landed with a stick (I saw him bring at least one more, and that time he bustled about the nest with it, interfering with chicks):

FISH !!! !!! !!!

FISH !!! !!! !!!

Just because I only found three, doesn't mean that's all there were.

IMAGICAT

• I apologize for not being present the past week.
    I've had a variety of things happening, have been depressed by the haze on the cam, and besides that I have been upset at the evolution of naming events here. I am going to be out of town for the next week. I'm so grateful to those who have kept track of progress and I'll try to keep up on the nest while I'm away. But I must say I have lapsed into somewhat of a depression due to recent events.... I am so sorry.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Unknown said:
    I must say I have lapsed into somewhat of a depression due to recent events.... I am so sorry.

I hope you can recover very soon (((CC))) - you are someone who enriches this thread and we need you to be happy Purple heart

Have a good week away, and don't forget it's ringing next week and the cam will be cleaned - and I'll try to scare the chicks into pooping towards the far horizon Grin

06 July

Mistle had a flyabout 03:15, no further significant activity seen up to 03:53.

I shan't be here for get-go, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Have a good week away CC and hopefully equilibrium will have been restored here on your return.