LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• Here was the EJ naming competition from 2004

Thanks to all of you who have suggested names for our female. Please keep the e-mails coming - the top five
    suggestions (in alphabetical order) are currently:
    • Edith
    • Eliza - Because in 'My Fair Lady' (or 'My Fair Osprey'!) you have Henry and Eliza (thanks to Scott and
    Kate for pointing out this connection to us.)
    • Eleanor
    • Fionn
    • Kate/Katherine
    Some of the more unusual suggestions have included:
    • Ealga - (pronounced Yal-ga) - an Irish Gaelic name meaning 'Noble' or 'Brave' (thanks to Lynda).
    • Nimue - meaning 'Lady of the Lake' - thanks to Stephen of Niota, USA.
    We have also learnt that there is a Henry and White EJ fan club in St Kitts in the Eastern Caribbean - thanks
    for letting us know about that Kate. We have to apologise for not having the time to respond to every e-mail.
  • Hazel b said:
    Here was the EJ naming competition from 2004
    Hazel b said:
    Thanks to all of you who have suggested names for our female. Please keep the e-mails coming

Thanks for that, Tiger.  So they invited suggestions back then.  Just goes to show how much they did not want Mistle included this time.

BTW, it raised my eyebrows when Fergus said that Mistle might be mispronounced - what about Dileab?  Jeeleep is a bit of a stretch, and I would call her Dilly-ab, Dilly for short Stuck out tongue winking eye 

However, I am not bitter, and I shall abide by the outcome of the vote - at least as far as public videos are concerned.

I expect you think it's time I packed up, so I will, and good night Kissing heart

IMAGICAT

• A very important point. EJ was not one of the choices.

I would threaten to leave the RSPB over this except I already left in 2014.

Saved a lot of money.
  • Hazel b said:
    A very important point. EJ was not one of the choices.

Saved a lot of money.

Sorry, I have to own up to being the culprit. My idea. We had no idea how popular our birds were back then. I announced the competition and gave a dedicated email address to vote. This crashed the entire RSPB website which couldn't handle tjhe number of emails................ EJ wasn't initially in the top 5, but she quickly became joint leader - and we now all know the outcome. No restirctions in my day of the name you could vote for. WHY resttict people's choice?

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 05 July

I seem to have killed the YT Chat last night, asking about the PTZ- no-one has posted since.

It's a lost cause Tired face

04:20 Mistle is just stood standin' after a flyabout:

05:54-  After a long period of brooding, she flew off over the cam:

Only gone a couple of minutes:

Another flyabout 06:03, another 06:15 - I haven't been able to tell if she brought anything back but I suspect some sticks.

Back to brooding.

I haven't spotted Axel up to 06:50.

IMAGICAT

• Good morning, thank you to everyone posting daily updates, that is dedication in the present murky conditions. I’ve given up trying to see what is going on.
  • Morning All and thank you for all the daily updates from everyone. Much appreciated!
    Totally disgusted how RSPB are disregarding this forum on the naming of Mistle! It most certainly does not sound like missile..... That is ludicrous!
    We have sent emails too!
  • CRinger said:

Hazel b said:
    A very important point. EJ was not one of the choices.

Saved a lot of money.

Sorry, I have to own up to being the culprit. My idea. We had no idea how popular our birds were back then. I announced the competition and gave a dedicated email address to vote. This crashed the entire RSPB website which couldn't handle tjhe number of emails................ EJ wasn't initially in the top 5, but she quickly became joint leader - and we now all know the outcome. No restirctions in my day of the name you could vote for. WHY resttict people's choice?

It was amazing how EJ suddenly came from behind to be a front runner in the vote..... here's another diary excerpt that brings back very fond memories:

A brief update on the name for our female ringed 'EJ' - a new entry has stormed into the Top Five suggestions: • Edith • Eleanor • Eliza • Fionn Your comments are also coming in thick and fast about White EJ's name, and many of you seem keen on retaining it as 'White EJ'. 'Why not leave [White EJ] as her name? It's quirky enough for the 21st century!' - Mary. 'I can't think of her as some historical or fictional character. She somehow represents today... Let's go for something bold and different for the 21st century' - Moyra. 'We have this name now printed on our hearts after her brave fighting for the nest and their egg... It sounds kind of cool, like an Indian warrior's name... She deserves it... She doesn't look like an Edith or some other name like that... Although whatever she gets called, I am sure we will all accept it and she will remain our star.' - Helen

10/5/2004.

A week later another update:

It is now 'neck and neck' between Eliza and EJ.

'I am 14 years old and I too think that her name should remain as 'white EJ', I think that it makes her sound like a warrior and with the recent egg smashing incident I think this is very fitting.' - Hannah from Shropshire. 'I vote for White EJ. It sounds like an old Indian name to me, while Eliza sounds like an English schoolgirl.' - Dicky from Holland. Sue seems to sum up what many of you have said in your e-mails: 'My vote is to keep the name EJ. To be honest, it doesn't matter what the final outcome of the vote is, to me she will always be EJ. It is funny, whereas the name Henry suits 'our Henry' and kind of rolls of the tongue easily, none of the other names suggested for EJ have that ease or familiarity. Henry and EJ - long may they reign.' Although Jack from Glasgow has another suggestion - 'How about Penelope which according to my dictionary means 'Wife constant during husband's long absence?'

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• We know the other cam is there because the light on the tower at night ??? why not use it
  • I don't think there is a light on either the PTZ/treecam. I belive there was IR on both nestcam and the PTZ/tree cam but I could be wrong. I don't remember why it wasn't used this season on the nest cam.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/