LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Super pics, vids and commenting, thank you everyone. I can confirm it has been windy/gusty on the west coast today,after a damp still day y'day.(and midgey!).

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I'm taking time away too.  SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• 14:39 A 24 minute ?pike?

As usual.......... click on it........... (yawn) it gets clearer..........

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 15:11 Mistle back with about 1/3 of the fish.

• 16:01 Axel back to the nest - I am sure its with about 1/4 of the last fish and NOT newone. That was a GOOD fish!

• I’m sure I should not be asking this in here but I’ve left it late so here goes. Does anyone know how far the car park is from the RSPB centre? We are on our way up on Sunday and I wanted to see if it was feasible to make a pit stop and see our birds in person. Thank you.
  • JaneV said:
    I’m sure I should not be asking this in here but I’ve left it late so here goes. Does anyone know how far the car park is from the RSPB centre? We are on our way up on Sunday and I wanted to see if it was feasible to make a pit stop and see our birds in person. Thank you.

Hi Jane. I worked there for 4 years so I think I can answer.......... from the car park it is about a 5 minute stroll to the Visitor Centre from where you can see the nest. Beware! There are no toilets in the VC but there are in the reception building at the car park - my advice is to spend a penny there if you think you will be in the VC for some time. Feel free to ask any more questions! BTW - if its a nice day think about taking a picnic to the side of the loch - a 30 second walk from the car park - the scenery is AMAZING! AND if all is as it was, there are some bird feeders right by the entrance kiosk on the car park - its worth spending 15 minutes watching the feeders this time of year -  you MIGHT just be lucky enough to see a crested tit come to them! If not, and you are relatively active, when you leave turn right out of the car park and first left to another car car park which is the Loch Mallachie car park......... this takes you on a circular route throught the forest and down to the loch (Mallachie) .... again you might see .cresties - the best chance is within 10 minutes of starting the walk and the last 10 minutes before you return. ENJOY!!! I envy you.

• Does anyone know how far the car park is from the RSPB centre?

I've had no luck googling or checking Abernethy Facebook page, so have bolded for CRINGER, he's sure to know.

MaryGK did a lovely video years ago but I don't know if it still applies today.

IMAGICAT

• Thank you so much CRinger and Scylla that is great. We have a loaded car, as we are on our way to Scourie up in the NWest so if necessary I can make a dash to the VC and leave himself in the car.
  • Mistle has arrived back with a clump. She faffs with nesting material, then stand as her magnificent self before taking off again.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs