LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger said:
    I have NEVER known a male food solicit so much as Axel!!! Another sign it is a new pair?

Hmm, I don't remember seeing Laddie or Blue33 food soliciting... and there you have an established male with a new partner and a new male with an established partner.

Axel didn't do it last year - but then he didn't have any eggs!

Yet another Osprey behaviour to mystify us.

IMAGICAT

• Apparently fish at 21:49. SorryI missed it. Was watching againmy son's concert @ www.youtube.com/watch and wondering yet again how 1 lady can steal the show at 1hour 27 minutes.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger said:
    Apparently fish at 21:49

Bit of a weenie one

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Fish at 5.11. Not too shabby

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• 05 June

First flyabout 04:00.

Breakfish:

Just to show size better:

Back with less than half @ 05:51:

Axel flew without tryng to claim it, but came back for it @ 06:26, taking some nest material with it:

Didn't eat much:

Mistle flew off to the old nest area and Axel stayed on the side of the nest nibbling for a minute, then flew off in the same general direction, could be heard chirping sweetly:

I stopped to do a video and had a major interruption here, so there are probably lots of new posts since I opened this RF:

I'll leave it for now.  Other nests to check.

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    Fish at 5.11. Not too shabby

There, see?  You weren't here when I started.  Love your fish rating Shark Blue heart

IMAGICAT

• I have to pack up for quite a while - just checked live cam, and Mistle is nodding off on her eggs, so we'll assume all is well.

IMAGICAT

• Problems with some individual cam streams going flaky an cluttering me up, then a general internet problem early evening created a norrible mess, I can't be mithered to work out exactly how long all the cams were failing here.

16:00 Mistle made off with her afternoon tea:

She brought some back @ 16:13, Axel got up after a minute or so pottered about the nest, leaving Mistle eating her fish @ 16:18 - Axel returned @ 16:28, by which time Mistle had finished fish and flew off!, Axel incubated until 16:51, when Mistle returned and took over.

I was going to do a video of Mistle's preening contortions but it turned out to be freezy - it was that time of the evening:

20:14 Axel brought a tiny stick and took over, and before long he was "fish soliciting" again - maybe it's just his way of communicating?  Mistle was back @ 20:37 and dilly-dallied for 5 minutes and flew off again,,, back again @ 20:55 for a leisurely 2-minute changeover:

IMAGICAT

• 06 June

Mistle's first flyabout 03:03, no activity since then up to 03:35.

I'm off, g'night till later.

IMAGICAT

• Hatch watch starts for me today! Day 35 for egg 1.