LOCH OF THE LOWES - JUNE 2022

Link to May 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as we had hoped, the middle of May proved to be a wonderful time with three successful hatches. Laddie, with his prolific fishing skills, is providing extremely well for his family and NC0’s attentive feeding for all three Osplets, is an absolute joy to watch! Let's hope everything continues to go well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22   NC0 - 23.3.22

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22   Egg #2 - 15.4.22   Egg #3 - 18.4.22

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22   Chick #2 - 21.5.22   Chick #3 - 23.5.22

15.6.22:  At 23 days old, chick #3 passed away Broken heart 

27.6.22: Our osprey chicks have been ringed!  Chick #1 - LP8   Chick #2 - LR0  (Genders not determined)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April and May

2.6.22: Blog (which includes historic LotL info) >>> Free Week-End at Loch of the Lowes 4th & 5th June

6.6.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

10.6.22: Blog >>> What’s on the Menu? Osprey diets at Loch of the Lowes

15.6.22: Blog >>> Sad news from the nest

24.6.22: Blog >>> It won’t be long until the ospreys start to fledge

28.6.22: Blog >>> Our osprey chicks have been ringed!

• Thank you, Geemeff!

Geemeff said:
    Sometimes it is possible to determine at the sex of juvenile ospreys during ringing, based on the thickness of their legs. This year it was simply too close to call.

No wonder there's been such doubt on here then! Smile

• Many thanks Geemeff for the update re the ringing details (I've added the link to the blog on the OP) and Scylla for the times of the fish deliveries. Very much appreciated! Hugging

I wonder whether the chicks are closer to being female than male? Thinking

• Well well well, we’re no further forward! lol Smile Neither of the chicks could be sexed - is this unusual?

LR0 sits with the sequence of the chicks from last year, LR1 and LR2. LP8 is more random. I know there is no pattern to what ringers use and it’s just what they have at the time. For me personally, I just like when chicks from the same clutch have rings that are in sequence as it makes it easier to remember them!
  • 13.53 The camera zooms in to see a bedraggled NC0, LP8 and LR0.

Next thing, Laddie arrives with a baby perch! NC0 screaming at him, immediately grabs it whilst still in Laddie’s talons.

A bit of tug o war with the fish caught in the middle.

There was always only going to be one winner though!

• 16:20 A small fish delivery from Laddie

LP8 on the left

LR0 received a bite of fish from NC0 just before Laddie left the nest. Her loud calls, stating the fact that the fish wasn't big enough, must have been reverberating in his ears! lol

©SWT/LotL

• Glider said:
    Well well well, we’re no further forward! lol Neither of the chicks could be sexed - is this unusual?

LR0 sits with the sequence of the chicks from last year, LR1 and LR2. LP8 is more random. I know there is no pattern to what ringers use and it’s just what they have at the time. For me personally, I just like when chicks from the same clutch have rings that are in sequence as it makes it easier to remember them!

As I understand it RD sells Darvics to the ringers and it is only the ringers who normally know the destination of the rings.

Ringers then use the rings as they choose.

When an osprey is seen on return  RD  knows which ringer had the ring but not the bird. So the ringer supplies details.

I presume the system is efficient as most young ospreys are never seen again. 

• In reply to a question in the comment section on LotL Fb as to whether there will be further info re the chicks' weight/wing measurements, Lowes replied,

'There will be a round up blog produced at the end of the week with further details. We are currently inducting new staff teams in both the visitor centre and ranger team. Thanks for your patience.'

• The cam has been zoomed onto the nest since just after 17:00. Some random pics

LP8 on the left, with LR0

Top of head markings

17:50 Awww...LP8 taking a nap while using LR0 as a pillow Slight smile

©SWT/LotL

• 19:46 A 'perch' from Laddie

LR0 with a long strand of fish. NC0, in the meantime, fed LP8

©SWT/LotL