WEEKLY CHAT (Non-Osprey) SUNDAY, MAY 28 2022

Couldn't even get on the site earlier!  So slow.

Anyway, have a good week all!

• OG: What is 'gongoozling'?

AQ: My eyes glaze over if a recipe has more than 8 ingredients.

It's Memorial Day weekend here. Got some long-pending stuff done in the garden yesterday and more done this morning. Now I can look out the garden without feeling cranky.
  • ANNETTE – My wonderful helper (Google) says Gongoozling is the activity of watching boats and activities on canals for pleasure. I guess OG has adopted the term to apply to her “neighbourhood watch”.

Our back lawn has turned yellow – covered in crabapple leaves after last night’s & today’s gusty winds. I have been waiting for autumn leaves to fall so I can photo some buildings hidden normally by leafy green trees. Alas, far too miserable to be out today. OH’s walk turned into a run as he met another sudden shower. I have my 4th covid jab at 5.15 pm. Normally I wear short sleeves to speed process but not today.

• Good morning. It’s dry here but dull. It was cold when I ventured out yesterday.
    My highlight for today? A visit to the hygienist. I haven’t been since before the pandemic, so I hope I don’t get told off about the state of my teeth!!!!
    I hope everyone has a good day.
  • Good heavens! Very quiet on here. When does Lindybird get back?? :-)

Rusty: I see the dental hygienist at 10 in the morning. :-(

AQ: Thank you for the definition.
  • ANNETTE – Yes, very quiet here. It is First of Month and I have grown dizzy watching whirligig. LINDA is in the Shetlands about now & returns home Friday, probably to be greeted by a trillion emails and an ecstatic Bonnie.

After a bleak start, it turned into a sunny but chilly day. I was too tired for a photo escape after traipsing around supermarket, one of few bothering to wear a mask. We are no longer told daily covid numbers, hospital admissions or deaths. Do the authorities believe pandemic is over? Dau#1 is a close contact, again, another child in her class tested positive. Dau does not have to quarantine, just have RAT tests for a week, wear a mask when outside home and continue teaching. We have deferred our visit again. Maybe I am being super cautious BUT. . .

Next-Door’s gate saga. Three lads have fitted a new gate today. I wonder if the first gate (it is double car width) was too heavy for the rollers? It keeps us entertained.

• Hello all
    A better day today, thank goodness. I have very few roses now but they have the dreaded black spot. It's my own fault I have been avoiding garden duties for too long. Now I feel like chopping them down...

• Hello all,
    I couldn’t get on this morning. The site was really slow. Definitely first of the month syndrome I guess.
    HEATHER - sorry to hear about your roses. Is there anything which can be done so that you don’t have to chop them down?
    AQ - I know what you mean about people thinking it is all over. I went on a train last week and no one was wearing a mask.
    I have been golfing today. Pretty average but I did get a 2 on a Par 3 hole and will win some golf balls - don’t know how many yet as it depends on how many people get a 2 today. Etiquette dictates that I must give my 2 partners a ball so I might end up with none!!!! I was very pleased though.
  • RUSTY - I have just sprayed them with Rose Clear. I'm so cross with myself for not doing it in the Spring !
  • Rusty/Heather: I've just noticed some kind of leaf borer on my roses....the leaves get white spots then there's a hole and then there's just the skeleton of the leaf. There's an environmentally 'friendly' spray for it, but you have to spray from and back and the darn spray doesn't work when it's beyond a certain angle. And we're told to spray a jet of water on the roses first thing each day to keep the aphids off, but now we're on water restrictions... Blah, blah, blah.... A first world problem....

Rusty: Hope you get LOTS of golf balls!

AQ: Can't wait for next episode of Nextdoor's Gate Saga. Soon to be a major motion picture? No, thought not. :-))