Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 May 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH and HAPPY MAY DAY! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a glorious spring!!!

Apologies for starting the thread a little early. We have big 'ol thunderstorms moving in, possibly severe, and I'm shutting down my computer for the night. I'm going to wash and cut my hair and do a little quiet meditation and planning for the month of May.

Today was a rare "Black Moon," the second new moon in a single month. A partial solar eclipse is just now ending, but it was not visible in the UK or the US. 

Take care, all. 

• aquilareen said:

LINDA - You wrote "there is hardly ever only one mouse, so I would expect several more......"

I already feel like crawling away and bawling my eyes out.

Oh, dear AQ  --- I'm so sorry. Didn't want to make you feel worse. But sadly it's true, they're sociable creatures & also, can reproduce very easily.   I wonder if you can buy a sound emitting device as described, we've never tried one.

We did have a rat problem, they seem to live under our neighbours shed, and the worst part was that they shimmied up the single story roof then up the drainpipes, and hence into our tiny loft spaces - I used to keep clothes in there but found they were being chewed, and worse still, its only a couple of feet from where we sleep!! Argh.  My OH solved it by putting rat poison in a tray in the loft, & by laying a trap with poison in the garden, too. 

• We've had a memorably good day: decided to have a trip to Anglesey, as we've not been for a very long time. We were not here in Wales for much of the pandemic, and when we did come, we stayed near to base camp mostly- so no trips last year.

First, we went to a favourite haunt which is the Forestry near to the famous Newborough Beach in the South of the island. The trees, it says on the notice boards, were planted between 1947 and 1965, to provide timber, and logging jobs to the locals. Then later it was taken over as a Nature Reserve. The trees are wonderfully tall! And there are red squirrels living amongst them, although of course we never see them, as our brown & white friend runs about excitedly and makes sure that they hide from us.

• Newborough Forest. Fabulous. As you know LINDY - I was there last Monday. Super place. My friend who is a geographer said that some of the trees were planted to stabilise the dunes. My car was covered in sand after parking in that big car park. We saw red squirrels the next day in the Dingle in Llangefni.
  • There are a couple of tiny lakes with noisy waterbirds on them. The ducks and moorhens especially!!

• Hi all, lovely to read all your news.

So pleased to hear OG is home, it will take time but recovery hopefully will leave you feeling a lot better.
    Regards to EE for looking after you.

Dau managed to get the new patio set out today and lo and hehold the sun came out lunchtime so we
    sat outside for our first lunch. Unfortunately not long after the sun went in. We went over to one of our local
    garden centres, wanted to get some frozen fruit for crumbles but they seem to have stopped it although I did
    manage to get some rhubarb so a rhubarb fool for Sunday desert. We also picked up 3 roses in memory of OH
    and will plant them together in a planter we have - also bought a hydranger plant for front of house, so a bit of
    planting to do over the next few days. Ended up at a local pub on the way home where we stopped for a drink.

Forgot to say, thanks Diane for again starting us off. Do hope the storm passed quickly and that you are not
    flooded out.
  • Mouse traps still set this morn but I am waiting until Thurs when I have a full day free for clean-up. Flu jab this morn,

PAT & RUSTY - I "liked" your posts but didn't like your pest stories, if you understand what I mean.

• Good Morning. Dry here again. We hope to go out this morning, then must set to to tidy up before heading home again tomorrow.

Yesterday we enjoyed two different walks in the woods, although we don't go as far these days. The birdsong was wonderful and there were few people around.

Thick forest of fresh green leaves...

• The old logging tracks are still used by the Rangers to get around.