Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 24 April 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week. 

Very windy here, but it's a remarkable 82F. That's 28C. It's going to get chilly again this week, but it sure was nice to see the sun today! This weekend is peak bird migration here, with millions of birds flying north through the night over Indiana. We've been advised to turn off all outdoor lights so we don't hamper their migration.

Take care and be safe, all. 

• I went dashing out with my OH to get his 4th jab, but although we enquired they wouldn't give me mine as I'm still under 75 - apparently it's going to be done in strict age order.
  • I had to reschedule mine, LINDY because of water damage at the vaccination centre. Now on 6th May.
    Thanks to EE for the update about OG. I did chuckle about the garden notebook ! Having said that, I remember that OG grew up helping in the garden at home and it is her passion. Much like my OH, who was put in charge of the vegetable garden at the farmhouse at a very early age.
    LYNETTE - things are really taking shape in your house and garden. Good to read about it all !

• Magpies in our tree the other day - 4 here, 2 were in the plum tree next to it, and two had just left and were circling in the sky -- with at least 3 more on our neighbours roof, you can see that we are sometimes inundated with them!

• A Happy Birthday to AQ for tomorrow, 26th April, as she will reach that day before we do!! Have an enjoyable day, AQ.

• AQ - A very happy birthday - enjoy every moment!

Lindy - We have been infested by magpies for the past couple of years. They are pretty - but evil. They plunder the nests of the smaller birds (mainly bluetits and blackbirds) and gang up on any that manage to get near the bird feeders. I don't know why we have suddenly got such increased numbers - I don't know what would predate them. We do have a local sparrowhawk which occasionally takes a pigeon - do sparrowhawks take magpies?
  • Lindybird:  Lovely rose for AQ and thank you for 'reminding' us.  

AQ:  Happy Birthday for tomorrow!!

• I hope you have a wonderful birthday, AQ!

• Catchup time. Sunday morn with my back improved I cleaned bathroom & toilets, then “attended” online streaming church. Still feeling good I decided to plant thingies in front garden. Due to “help” from OH, I forgot I intended to fork soil & add cow poo before inserting 4 new plants. Planting done, I collapsed on to lounge, Dau phoned to enquire if we are home for a visit for my birthday. Knowing they were leaving today for a camping holiday, I said yes. Cleared mess, found cheese & bics (must find some new snack before they come again). Trio each had a homemade card with lots of love enclosed, even “I love you so much”. Aw gee. Dau’s gift was a book about Rewilding at Knepp Castle. (I must have visited a dozen Sussex villages chasing OH’s ancestors, but further east), kitchen scissors (sharp!) & a silicone utensil. After they left (and I did enjoy their visit), any thoughts of getting tea became “open a can of soup”.

• Monday was recovery day. Am I getting old or something? I managed to get meals & water plants. The strange clicking noises in kitchen cupboard increased and sounded more like chewing noises. I could not face the problem & deferred until this morn. OH did for once remember it was my birthday & I received some cheerful greetings from YOU. Time to get started - I emptied the kitchen cupboard nearest the stove, from where the noise has been. Saucepans, trays, pie & cake dishes, muffin trays, you can imagine what saw the light of day. Top shelf behind 2 doors cleared, then the bottom shelf. As I near the last items, a flash of grey along back of cupboard. A mouse. Shut door & threaten OH not to open any of the cupboards. I do not attempt to find a trap in our garage mess & drive to hardware store. 2 traps now decorated with peanut butter are in the cupboard waiting, waiting. After lunch I began washing pots & pans, top shelf done & parked on dining room table until I can clean out mouse & whatever. The rest of pots & pans can wait for another day. And then there are all the casserole dishes & other stuff behind the remaining four cupboard doors because they are all connected. Who knows what has been walking or worse over them.

Birthday celebration tea tonight is a roast chicken & naughty chips from the chicken shop.