Goshawk webcam at Loch Garten

From RSPB Loch Garten Facebook
Goshawks are making a sneaky appearance on our live feeds. We are still waiting to see if they will incubate but we believe they have eggs already. If you want to follow their nest you can do so here and we even have infrared on this camera so can watch into the evening!
  • scylla said:

Cirrus said:
    Nope, I won't be watching any more feeding sessions on this nest. Worse than Ospreys

I don't think they are worse than Ospreys, Cirrus - they have a mad scrap but soon forget all about it, and they don't persecute like osplets do (remembering #3 at LotL, the latest in a long line of unfortunates).  The #4 at this nest died thru sheer smallness, lacking the ability to muscle in at feeding time.

And of  course, Scylla, - I really do remember Garten and her  persecution  of Mallachie

It's just that I also know ome white tailed eagle chick that had fledged (female) that kicked her  UNfledged  brother out of the nest. I really did think the goshawk chick on the nest edge was going  over.   I suppose ,  I'm just a  wuss  where nature is concerned. Sorry, you are right of course.. 

• scylla said:

04July

Heehee, the 2 females fought while the little guy snuck the prey item:

https://youtu.be/CYB5GLFFrv4

Yep, I really do  like your video Scylla. Ha ha ha , and at the end both thought the food had gone over the edge, double ha ha . Well done the  youngster who grabbed it whilst the other two scrapped.

• 10 July

This is the first "branching" I've noticed - the little guy, of course!  Shame that the cam doesn't seem to have a pan-out function.  Sorry it's so long, but I don't think it's boring if one is interested in their behaviour.  I forgot to caption "Bedtime" on the end.

11 July

I'm not doing any video unless something fascinating happens.

Little guy was up to a branch first thing in the morning.

He was gone for nearly 2 hours, then up to a branch again @ 06:25.

Bird prey was delviered for breakfast, then red squirrel for early lunch.  Little guy was in 'n out of the picture all day so far.

I'm puzzled - do we have 2 males (1 bigger than the other) and one female?

IMAGICAT

• What a splendid little chap ! I decided having arrived at this page and linked to YouTube I'd make my first coffee of the day and enjoy the whole video with it . (these days my first drink is dandelion tea as I was told it's good for my heart )
    So thank you Scylla a most enjoyable 12 mins.

Mm, I think it's still two females and our splendid little male.
  • How fascinating, and thank you Scylla. I don't follow this thread, but I loved your vid. I find it interesting how different physically they are different from osprey. The Gos have such long thin legs which they use to pounce on their prey, but I wonder why, given that osprey use theirs to grab fish from below the water.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• What a lovely surprise to see that you enjoyed the long video, CIRRUS & SHEILA Kissing heartKissing heart

Unknown said:
    I think it's still two females and our splendid little male.

The thing is, Cirrus, we now clearly see 2 brown-breasted birds, with the third one definitely grey.  So that should be 2 males and 1 female.

The little guy developed his brown feathers very early indeed, it's only now that I've seen that there's another brown Goshawk chick.

Somewhere, and I can't find it now, WildlifeWindows referred to "the smaller male..." (rather than "the smaller/smallest, which is male") and strictly grammatically, in the context I read it, that should have meant that there is a larger male.

I think we have to go by colouring, and accept that the size belies the gender rather than the colour.

Well... I know what I meant Rofl 

~~~~~~~

11 July

Marking the panning-out of the cam, with 2 brief food deliveries as intro:

Second chick branches:

IMAGICAT

• 12 July

Little guy hasn't slept in the nest tree for the past 2 nights - here are a couple of scenes:

For a while the 2 remaining chicks slept like grown-ups!  But they laid down eventualy:

It can't be too long before the tree is empty!

IMAGICAT

• 13 July

The little guy called in during the day at at least one mealtime, and here he paid a visit below and beyond the nest:

(Oops, I circled the wrong blob, can't see a darn thing clearly.)

The 2 bigger birds spent the night on the nest.

14 July

Little guy flew in to be ready for breakfast - lots of activity thereafter, with parents making lightning deliveries to the nest and one of the larger chicks managing to branch briefly:

No time to do these birds justice.

IMAGICAT

• 15 July

A final video in my final post for the season.  They've all fledged.

IMAGICAT