Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 April 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON! 

The moon turns full next Saturday, 16 April. Here, it's known as the "Pink Moon."

I hope everyone has a joyful, healthy spring week! 

Spring is taking its time to arrive here. I had a long period of snow last night. Our Weather Service warned us ahead of time that we'd have some cold nights with icy rain, and then snow and a hard frost well into morning. Everyone rushed to cover any new garden plants and flowers that had dared to come up.

• Some quotes from T shirts on sale ----

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been"

"I'm not lazy, I'm in energy saving mode"

"I am older than the Internet"

"It took over 60 years to look this good"
  • Had a visit from the falls team lady today to calibrate the walker left for me to use. Also she is going to chase up the bath board and put in a request for a Mobility grant for a possible shower cubicle instead of the bath as I still find it awkward to climb into the bath. The half-step is also on order so hopefully will come soon. Getting the help that is needed and it will make me feel a lot safer.. Hopefully furniture is to arrive between 10am and 2pm after I contacted them again to get an approximate time. We are hoping to go to a Mobility centre to look at beds in the afternoon as the shop will be closed all over the Easter holidays.

Annette - hope the surprise comes off for Ms..D and that you have a lovely Easter weekend.

In case I don't come on again this week - HAPPY EASTER to you all and may it be a peaceful one although in some
    areas it won't be but we can be mindful of what is happening and pray that all will be calm over Easter.
  • Hi, all. 

I'm taking a break from figuring my taxes. Oh, how I loathe that task, and they are particularly complicated this year. Sigh. 

I walked over to the convenience store on the highway to get a bottle of Diet Mountain Dew (I thought the caffeine would help). RT Hawk was flying over the bridge on the creek, and he screeched hello at me as I crossed. He looked out of sorts.

The Black Vultures have been flocking on the creek. That bridge is where I encountered them last week. I've since noticed them eating minnows, frogs, and I think mussels. They've also been eating out of the Pub's dumpster (garbage bin) when the staff leaves it open (it's next to the creek bridge). I think that's the reason they swarmed around me last week. They thought I either was throwing away food or I was going to take their food. Anyway, it looked like RT Hawk and his mate concluded that they weren't going to share their territory with all those vultures and they evicted them. Apparently, RT wasn't taking no for an answer because he looked infuriated. I would advise those vultures not to return.

The Pileated Woodpecker pair have now moved back to their usual nesting site on the creek levee and have abandoned their hole in the pine tree across from my front door. I think they were originally daunted by the vultures. So, all is normal on my patch. 

I'm not a religious woman in the orthodox sense, but I said a prayer this morning. A massive storm front had spread from Texas and the Gulf of Mexico across the Plains, through Indiana, and into the Northern Plains and the Upper Great Lakes, where a historic, potentially record-breaking blizzard is brewing. Deadly tornadoes had wreaked injury and damage in the South. When I got up this morning, I saw dire warnings of powerful storms with large tornadoes due to arrive in my area. My small town tested our tornado sirens this morning and everyone hunkered down. Luckily, the worst of it appeared to move just southeast of me. It's not over yet; it's storming right now, but it has lost its might. Phew!

Take care, all. 

• Hey, AQ: Look at this poor little church. 

bjane: Hope you're okay. I just saw that Iowa got hit. 

• Good Morning. Dry again here. OH has gone off hopefully to play golf. He got wet on Tuesday but they always carry wet weather gear with them

Lynette, I hope the furniture arrives alright. Something to look forward to. Our bath gets dusty now as although I can climb in, I can't climb out!!

Diane - Your birdlife seems to be getting itself organised - glad the woodpeckers won't be so near, and the vultures are being discouraged! Sorry you have more bad weather to contend with - hope the rest of it misses you.

Hope bjane is also alright.

Annette should be in full Family mode now, hope she can enjoy her break with them all and have a good Easter.
  • Lindybird said:
    Went around the supermarket after the haircut, with an umbrella,

This did make me smile, hope all the stock/shelves were well and truly under cover also .CHOL:):)

Loved your quotes today. Thank you.

Diana, do enjoy reading your wildlife info.

Hope everyone else manages to find some relief from ailments etc.during the Easter Festival.

• How lovely to hear Max, the springers owner talk about him on breakfast TV this morning. Our dogs give us so much and luckily most of them are loved so much in return.
  • DIANE – RTHs to the rescue! I wonder if that church would OK if they just gave it a push. . .

Today was much cooler than expected but still no rain. One set of neighbours left this morn, boat & caravan gone; their kids skipped last day of school term. Roads probably busy with others leaving early too! Airports with long queues as holiday travellers and staff absent with covid. Four-day Easter weekend followed by 2 weeks school holidays. I’m glad we stay home. I hope all those daring to take to the roads over Easter are safe.

• DIANE - I hope that your RTH s keep.up the good work ! The little church picture was sad. It must have been a wooden structure. I'm not at all surprised that you were nervous about the storm. We don't get such extremes of weather here but during the recent winds I lay in bed wondering if my two tall chimney stacks would fall.
    LYNETTE - it's so good to read that your garden room will be enjoyed and that you are getting all the help that you need. My late neighbour had a grant for installing a wet room, which helped her so much.
    LINDY - Leaving the rain jacket at home is something that I would do as well. I'm more worried about forgetting my specs, these days, though !
    No news from here but regards to ALL.
  • Morning all   Sent an "arrived okay" text last night but site was slow and it's been lost.  

Diane  Saw that nasty weather and am glad you're okay.   Same goes for bjane, whose town was hit badly some years back.