Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

• OG   Glad to hear you are feeling a little better. Hope your relatives are able to travel safely and the "invasion" is a good one. You have been so busy with all the preps and having work done at the same time.

• ALAN Glad Hamish has been given the all clear and can look forward to his grooming. Fingal tolerated his home grooming and so does Dillon. Harvey loved it and used to actively ask to be brushed. He did this by leaning on our garden wall and pushing his way along back and forward. This prompted the question "Does Harvey want a brush brush? followed by a very enthusiastic tail wag.

• jsb, what a coincidence. Just proves that these letters must work for them to carry on sending them.

• Glad to hear that Hamish is OK and now is going to be 'made even more beautiful'....

Also, loved the Waxwings pic from dibnlib.... aren't they lovely! ?  Wish I could see one for real.

Interesting about your solar panels installation, OG - hope you get lower bills from now on! Glad you're feeling better, and hope you continue to improve so that you can enjoy your Christmas festivities.

The snow seems to be pretty much nationwide, and more promised over the next couple of days at least. Was pleased to get a couple of (Christmas) deliveries from Amazon, only made a few days ago, so they are still managing to deliver pretty well, but of course we don't have the snow badly here, yet!

Lovely to read all your posts from up and down the UK, and of course our overseas friends. I'm off again now, to wrap some secret presents whilst OH is out, and also to make him a promised mince pie - we make a large one and slice it up. Beginning to feel Christmassy now with the music playing and the wrapping paper everywhere!

• ps:   We had some phone calls from a company claiming they were not selling anything,  just  'doing a Lifestyle Survey' .    Next time they came on, I told them that we have ' a Lifestyle that includes not doing Surveys!!!"... there was a long silence at the other end!

• Annette: I had to laugh at your suggestion that I get a goose for protection and companionship! And now I have to tell my goose story. This is going to sound made up, but I SWEAR that this is a true story.

Many years ago, I was working as an editor on the For Dummies book series. I walked to work every day because my apartment was only 3 or 4 blocks from my office. I worked a lot of hours, and I usually walked home after dark (the area was relatively safe). Every evening, I strolled by a small lake where a flock of Canadian geese always roosted for the night. 

One big goose was very curious about me, and he always flew over to greet me and walk by the lake with me. I talked to him, and he would make all kinds of interesting verbalizations in reply. He showed no aggression at all, and eventually I started bringing him food -- what I hoped were treats (to a goose).  He was there to meet me every evening, and I named him "Humphrey."

One night, some questionable young men were hanging around as I was leaving the office building, and I was very nervous by the time I got to the lake. Humphrey immediately sensed my unease, and that goose didn't leave my side. He accompanied me all the way to my apartment door, flying around and around me, as if to protect me from harm. I was touched and amazed at that goose's loyalty, and I adored him. So I'd be very pleased to have another Humphrey -- except that I'd have to invite him inside when it got too cold. LOL

Will catch up with everyone later!

• Hi folks, caught up again. On a little earlier today as going out to the Carol Concert at our local Brixworth Nursery Farm tonight.

OG - sorry to hear that you are under the weather and not feeling particularly bright at the moment, do hope it soon passes and with the injection coming up, that will make you feel a lot better.  Do hope Son can get himself sorted out.

As to the bit on spam emails, I'm afraid if I'm not sure who they're from or are regulars from shopping companies, I just delete them along with all those in the junk folder.   As to the cold calling malarky, I'm afraid I tell them I'm not interested and put the phone down. It may be rude but at times you get several one after the other and they get to be a nusiance so the easiest thing to do is to cut them off.

Took this a little earlier at the Abernethy site, at least 8/9 tits on feeder at the same time at one point.

• dibnib - loved that pic of the waxwings - can't get enough food!!!

Lindybird - nice picture of the palm trees - oh to be somewhere on a tropical island right now, well almost, Christmas first.

• OG: I hope you're feeling MUCH better now. Be sure to take vitamins. You have a lot going on in your life. 

Also, I wanted to say that my thoughts and best wishes are with your son. It sounds like he's having a very distressing time, and I wish him a full recovery, physically and emotionally. I'm sending good energy and keep us posted. If I don't "talk" to you before, I hope you have a wonderful time with your family.

You have a very beautiful home!!! Just lovely. The PV panels actually look very nice on the roof. I assume that your roof is sloped enough that snow or ice would not block the functioning of the panels. My roof is the same way. Because the glass is segmented, I wouldn't think that the panels would be any risk at all to the birds (no bird strikes, etc). They should be able to see them just fine. I'lll be very interested to know how effective the system is, in terms of taking you off of the electricity grid. I really would like to have those installed at some point. I think I can get significant tax incentives to do it. But I can't do it right away, unfortunately. Anyway, good job. I hope they serve you well.

• Hope everyone has had a good day.

Woke up to loads more snow and high winds through the night resulted in drifting. So had to dig the car out to get it to Elgin to have snow tyres fitted. Luckily OH took the day off and drove, the 23 mile journey was dreadful as non of the A95 had been touched so it was a slow journey as no point in rushing. Felt sorry for all the HGV drivers as it is preety hilly around here and they had problems in getting any grip. Mission accom plished  and I gather they have improved its performance...my turn next.

Shopping was fun as everything had to packed on back seat and behind front seats as we had a boot full of tyres!! OH came into his own dropping me off at the various shops then finding parking space and then packing shopping in car. Our little M and S had little on the shelves but luckily Tescos was fully stocked. When I first moved up here it was a culture shock as they had in Elgin was Asda and for a while I suffered from the lack of a Waitrose or M and S oh and Sainsburys. Never going to get Waitrose but plans are afoot for Sainsburys.

First job on return was to fill all the feeders...hungry little things. Pheasants were waiting for me outside of MY shed.

Spoke to youngest this morning and she had had a dusting of snow down in Dorest so it seems to be countrywide.

I must admit I am a bit funny about my hair. I have been going to the same super girl for 9 years. I go every 4 weeks for a cut and as I have short hair it has to be just right so I can cope with it inbetween visits so if ever she is unwell they just move me to the nearest appointment with her. She also warns me well in advance when she is due a holiday.

Pleased Hamish is well and enjoyed his visit to the vet...bless him.