Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

• Sorry to hear you're not feeling too good today, OG - hope you're not coming down with one of the various bugs going around.  Hope your son recovers, also.

Quite a bird list you have there - I was thrilled yesterday to look out of the kitchen window and see a Jay poking about on the ground underneath the bird feeders.  He looked disappointed though, and took off gracefully after a few minutes.  Didn't catch him on the camera which I have kept handy after seeing a departing Woodpecker the other day, and am determined to get a pic of him!  Have just refilled our peanut feeder which is very popular with the smaller birds, in this cold weather.

It snowed here after lunch today, but it didn't stick on the ground, so just added to the general wetness everywhere. Going colder tonight, as promised.  We got out the tree and put it up in the conservatory, and then had the usual battle with the twinkly lights.  I shall decorate it tomorrow. (in between about a thousand other chores - <sigh> )

Went around to where we lived previously (for 28 years!) to deliver some Christmas cards by hand.  Seemed strange to see our old house in the road, with different Christmas lights fastened up along the front by the 'new' owners.

Thinking of you, Diane, out there in the snow and with so much to do - do take care of yourself.

• Oh Aquilareen, those brain teesers again. Looked at them and get some partially and one full one.

Here goes:  50 W to L Y L = 50 ways to line your loft!!!

7 B for SB = 7 brides for seven brothers

15 M on the D  M C = 15 M on the dead man's chest

and that's as far as I got, not very bright!!!    Leave it to the experts!!

Glad to see you are having some cooler weather there. Really must clean my fridge out ready for Christmas and a few other chores too - lazy that's me.

• Evening all:   Oh boo. Typed a bunch of individual responses and then we lost our internet connection - I had copied the post right before it went down (learned, I thought, from previous experience) - or at least thought I had, but when I hit Paste, nothing there. Now OH says he's been bumped off again!!    Um, do rememer that Casper looked awfully peaceful; that weather was horrible in the UK; that Wendy's bin people came; that Paul was having a little rant but had seen a bunch of birds, and that Gary posted a link to otherworldly video of an Ohio lighthouse; that Alan survived an outing to Tesco and spotted a flock of wheelie bins, and that AQ is happy with the cool weather. Thanks everyone else for posts - did read them.  Now having spent 10 minutes on Tech Support to do modem plug/unplug, going off to think about wrapping Christmas gifts.  Seems like everyone's getting shoes, slippers, or shearling-lined boots (for granddaughter in Arizona!) this year.  Did buy Crunchie bars at Pier 1 Imports, plus some McVitie Digestives, but have left them in the garage since don't want them handy when I get a yen for yummies!

Take care all and do hope any Christmas festivities aren't affected by the bad weather.

• Morning, All:   Very frosty here but not the expected snow (yet). Apparently it 1st fell to the south of here, so we will get some later on today.

I'm off out on a food shopping mission & also to visit a neighbour who moved from here earlier this year.  I'll have to take care not to fall over on the icy paths, I can see.  Hope you are not all snowed in, and can get your various missions accomplished!

Not surprised to hear that Annette is buying Digestives - after all, life is not complete without them!  Will be thinking of Alan and hoping that Hamish gets signed off from the vet today.

Have a good day, and be safe in the snow, wherever you are.

• Here is pic of the view from our balcony on our recent holiday, to warm you up!!

• OG  hope you feel better soon. Booked a hair appointment for yesterday and got a call to change stylist and time as Emma was off sick with flu.  Pleased with new stylist but was staggered to find that a lot of customers were unpleaseant about change to their appointments  (cos they had parties) that Emma was going to go in for 3 hours this morning. how inconsiderate is that. hope they catch flu from her. Sorry not a nice thing to say.

• just looked at Scotlands pics and paeticularly liked the one of the view thro Brig o Doon and this one of Waxwings

• Morning all,

Alicat : Nice shot of Casper looking totally relaxed.

OG : Sorry you were feeling unwell yesterday. I hope you are better today,

Everyone else thanks for the chat and pics.

Just got back from the vets and got the all clear for Hamish. The results are back from the lab and it was a sub cutaneous growth and they reckon they have removed all the cells. The swelling has gone down and the stitches will dissolve through time. I asked about grooming and they said it was ok so I have booked him in for next thursday.

Weather is cold,sunny and frosty.Current temp -2.9c. Very little snow and the roads are dry.

Have a good friday everyone.

• Cold and sunny, no precipitation – probably black ice about.  Sorry to see on news that it is so bad around Patricia’s area – hope the choir can go ahead, and people get there.  We are definitely generating!  A little yesterday, and started off well this morning.  Will need to make max use of electricity in daylight hours, and it will take a while to see how we are doing.  Diane – here’s a pic of the PV panels on the roof, but of course all the tech stuff goes on in a clever computerised box on the inside!

I am feeling much better today – don’t feel I am about to fold up all the time – just couldn’t hold myself up yesterday – legs, hips, shoulders and core muscles.  I slept well – 4½ hours then another 3, and it was good to wake up naturally without having to get up to suit workers.  Speaking of workers – roadworks got another visit yesterday – a patch of red surface which we think will have a “20mph” reminder or a “Slow Children” in white paint – we await developments!

OH will do the Tesco mission today – I really don’t feel that well!!  Then this afternoon we shall finish preparations for tomorrow’s invasion.  Just one or to tweaks to decorations and then mostly food prep.

I hope all Christmas concerts, carol services, nativities go well and that people manage to get to them.

Annette – veggie cobbler isn’t really so healthy – cheese y’know!  Nice and warming – comfort food.  Imagining Diane with your suggestion of a Goose – I don’t think a single Goose would be a good idea, though – ought to get "6 Geese a-laying!"… sorry!

Alicat – admire Casper’s “let it snow “ attitude – he knows how to keep snug!

Wendy and Alan – Thursday seems to be a popular day for scaffies – we are supposed to have our bins out by 7am, and they come around lunchtime!

AQ – pleased it is a bit cooler while you are spring-cleaning.  Have the Grandchildren settled any better now their Mother is home – or are you keeping a low profile and not enquiring??!!

Lynette – I hope you manage the family visit to Nottingham.

Dibnlib – I think some people think that hairdressers (and doctors, nurses etc) are there just for them and “how dare they get sick if I am inconvenienced!”

Sorry I couldn’t catch up with individual replies to all, but thanks for posts, pics and links.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Alan - you snuck in while my photo was refusing to go in, and then decided it would!!  So pleased for Hamish - and you.  Does he enjoy the grooming as much as the vet's?

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!