Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

• Good afternoon dibnlib and I must admit I had a tear in my eye when I watched the Harriers doing their flypast.  Can remember going to an airshow some years ago and being absolutely amazed at their capability to take off from standing.  I hope some will be kept for flying displays in the future.

Sorry I haven't mentioned everyone by name, which is what I set out to do but the computer had other ideas.  I think it had something to do with updates which sometimes take ages.  Hope you are all well  and for those with the dreaded snow again take care and keep warm.  should have a bit more time tomorrow as housework all finished.  Will be wrapping some Christmas presents tomorrow and Saturday as I still haven't got round to it.  OH is going to London,hopefully, and also hopefully getting back OK. 

My sister popped in last evening with some Christmas decorations for me.  Every year she goes to Poundbury, Prince Charles' model town, and they have a Christmas shop which sell beautiful decorations.  She gets me a couple each year so have quite a collection of them now and they are such good quality.  She also brought more photographs of Rhys.  He has recovered and back to his normal happy self, full of smiles, giggles and mischief but just adorable. 

Lindybird will you get to see Tomasz over Christmas, weather allowing.  It will be a magical time for you.

Margobird

• Rant away Heron77 I don't understand why people go so mad when the weather is bad completely emptying the shelves of bread.  They must have huge freezers or eat stale bread.  I am very lucky as OH does all the shopping so I avoid the mad rush at Christmas.  I am not good in crowds because of my bad eyesight and some people at this time are at their least patient.

Glad you had so many birds to watch, they certainly brighten up any day.  It is raining/sleeting at the moment so the birds are a little quiet but there will be a mad rush soon whatever the weather is doing and then I will put some out ensuring they have plenty for first thing in the morning when I believe it is going to be very frosty and icy. 

Dressing for the weather in my case means looking about 5 times the size I am but I dress for warmth and try not to think what I may look like.

Take care and wish you many more happy hours of bird watching in your garden.

Margobird

• Afternoon to All just thought you might like to see this of casper

• Wendy, what a great place to live. Everyone helping out. As you say, if you're prepared to get stuck in, you get so much more in return. Good luck with the snow tyres. I have them on a car and they help enormously. Hope OH didn't get into too much trouble.. I saw that list of what men do in shops and would love to do lots of those! Stay safe

Margobird, thanks for all the updates and sorry your computer is playing up. So frustrating.

Paul, enjoy the rant and i agree. I can't say I eat more bread in bad weather!!

Alicat, Casper looks so content and warm:)

• Good afternoon ALICAT.  Thanks for the pic of Casper.  Bless he looks warm and snug in his bed, that a cutie.

Margobird

• DIANE  Yes, there is a Goldie Rescue Centre down in Perth but the fact that I would like a male aged between 2 and 5 may mean a long wait. In my favour the centre know Fingals breeder well and that stands me in good stead. Trouble is I still have to wait till OH decides he would be happy with another Goldie as although he loves them he seems to think he would prefer a different breed or a rescue dog instead.  

• ALICAT  Casper looks so snug, all wrapped up warm and ready for any weather.

• Hip Hip Hooray the scaffies (binmen) came today!!!! We were out clearing snow so a quick wave and a smile, from them that is, so they will still get their Christmas box.

Just had a scone and a cup of tea and as I am typing this I am looking at a total white out...Ah well more snow shifting in the morning. Log burner lit and about to catch up with my real paper  newspaper as I did make it up to my funny little local shop this morning. As for panic buying it is not for me as I have always had a storecupboard in MY shed and hate throwing away stale bread so just take slices out as and when.

Gary I did see some amazing pictures on our lunchtime news of a lake in the states where it was so cold and windy natural ice sculptures had formed, even the lighthouse was engulfed in ice. As I caught up with it halway through I missed where. Can you help?

• Back from our lunch out ... we made it, because the snow that came down heavily for about an hour this morning, just seemed to melt away thank goodness. I was surprised how much snow is still lying in various places inland from here from the last lot we had!  (That sentence doesn't read right, but you know what I mean!)       We had a departure from our usual fare at our favourite eating place, and chose from their 'hearty, winter warmers' menu ... we both opted for shepherds pie and it was absolutely delicious, served with a selection of beautifully cooked vegetables. We were so full we couldn'r manage dessert  ... not even one plate with two spoons!!

Heron - carry on with your rants ... I totally agree about the panic buying of some people ... it is ridiculous!

Alicat - lovely pic of Casper.

Wendy - I hope your snow doesn't amount to a huge lot like last time ... but you sound very well prepared!

margobird - I hope you have a lovely time at the theatre tonight and that it is not too cold for your walk down the pier. Glad to hear that Rhys is back to his 'normal happy self''

Off to wrap some more presents now  :-)

Joan - avid bird and nature watcher in Northumberland!

Index Thread

• Late afternoon All.  It has been a dull and damp day, and has finished with SNOW!!   I thought we might just miss it again, but it seems not.  However, it is very wet....

Hurrah!  The cards were posted today, along with two presents - ouch.  I obviously hadn't considered weight in the equation.  It was apparently past the date for second class post and they couldn't guarantee arrival before the Day so one had to go first class.

The birds have been busy, but still no waxwing, at least I haven't seen any.  Mr Farmer continues to scare the pigeons with his tractors (+rifle shot apparently scares them as it hurtles thru the air), churning up our track in the process and dumping tons of mud in the lane.  Grrr.  My poor car doesn't stand a chance.

Did anyone watch The Apprentice last night?  It was an absolute hoot.  I've not watched any of it until last night, but the interrogation was magic.  Didn't they squirm!!!  Out into the real world I guess, but not one I would choose to get into. 

It is going to be cold tonight on top of the snow/sleet/rain so do please take care everyone.  I hope those going to carol rehearsals, theatres etc enjoy their evening, and wrap up well.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/