Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

• Couldn't resist again, just put webcam on and one sleepy looking owl with the other one behind.  Some bird is making a noise in the background.

• LOL! Terry is right. I just meant that I was going to take a look at the rescue shelter video. If I decide to get a dog, I'll wait until I'm finished with the renovation and have my life sorted a bit. I was mostly just joking with Gary because he was tempting me with those cute pictures. His posts were a coincidence because I'd just been considering changing my mind about future dog ownership. I do appreciate everyone's very wise advice, though. You're all good friends and I treasure you.

Actually, I look at the rescue shelter videos every week. My best friend volunteers at the Indianapolis Animal Care and Control shelter every Sunday. She photographs each of the new dogs (and many cats) one by one and then creates a video of the pictures with the dog's names, etc. She's a very good photographer and is extraordinarily dedicated to getting homeless animals adopted. She often tries to convince me to take one dog or another. :-) Here's a sample of her great work (includes dogs and cats).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB146Qcm_Mo&feature=share  Thanks all!

• Diane, I'll stop bugging you about it then:) that clip is fantastic but sad at the same time. Your friend does fabulous work and wish more people were like her.

Terry, hope you get an audience for the weekend.

Lynette, glad you caught the dinner just in time! Love the barn owl captures:)

• Margo: I meant to say that I hope little Rhys is recovering well. I thought I had posted about it, but apparently I didn't. Poor little fella. Do keep us posted on his condition.
    Patricia and Lynette: I hope your choir events go smoothly and are well attended! Patricia, it's good that your choir reached out to others during the troubles.
    Chloe: Sorry about your Windows license problems. That's awful. I hope you get it all sorted.
    Alicat: That was a lovely card you made. Well done!
    Lindy: I would be a very nervous mother if I had a newborn, too. So much responsibility. Very daunting.
    Auntie: I hope you're staying warm. Sorry you have to go back to work. I'll bet your time off passed too quickly.
    Brenda: Time does seem to pass quicker as you get older. Someone should do research into that phenomenon.
    Sheila: Lucky you to see the barn owl!!! Very special.
    Joan: I'm kind of weary of the snow already, too. I don't like to drive, so it figures that it will snow like crazy and the road conditions will be wicked now that I will need to drive more.

dibnlib: You might be able to get a goldie at a rescue shelter, although you probably couldn't confirm that it had no traces of other breeds in its lineage. Here in the states, we have lots of rescue organizations that are dedicated to specific breeds, for example, there are boxer rescues, labrador rescues, etc. Also, most of the rescue shelters here list their current dogs on the internet, so if they do that in the UK, you could check around for a goldie until you found one.

OG: I'm glad that the package finally arrived after all of the intrigue! Hope the rest of the installation goes forth smoothly. That is a big job. I'm looking forward to hearing about how the new set up works. Post details, please. Don't worry about grammar and punctuation on this forum. I've been an editor for many years, and I enjoy breaking all of the rules. Very liberating! :-)

Annette: That trick with the new font was pretty cool. Do it again tonight. LOL Hope you're okay and the "Pineapple Express" isn't dumping too much rain on you. It's starting to snow again here. We could get 5 more inches, according to today's news. By the way, the Target store that carries guns is probably in Indiana. :-(

Speaking of firearms, I forgot to tell you this story. About a month ago, I was sitting at the computer here and I saw a policeman come down our driveway lane on foot. He looked into the back seat of my car and felt the hood to see if it was warm (to find out whether the engine had been running). I was getting my shoes on to go find out what the heck he was doing on my property, but he suddenly turned and started running full speed across my yard back toward the highway. I heard later that the police had arrested a 19-year-old kid for burglarizing several houses near here. They were looking for him and caught him hiding in a ditch near the bridge where our creek/burn goes under the highway -- not far from my house at all. He was armed with a handgun. Sheesh...!

I had been concerned that I would be afraid in this house alone at night, but so far I'm not. I think I'm too tired to be scared. :-)

Okay, I'm going to bed and watch the snow. I hope all of you don't have awful weather tomorrow. Stay safe and warm. G'night from the frozen prairie.

• Evening all:

Went to friends house for mulled wine and, thank heaven, some savoury snacks before being forced to enjoy mince pies, tiramisu, trifle, more mince pies and - oh yes - a handful of grapes!  Had to get some fruit in  there somewhere but now I'm beginning to get a bit hungry for something not sweet. Will have to rummage in the fridge; maybe I'll just have a little bowl of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of granola. Think the next few days will be heavy on the veggies and salads.

OG. You had to mention carrot cake didn't you!?  But veggie cobbler - what's that all about? Sounds yummy! And healthful.  Hmm. Maybe your electricals parts are at the Panasonic factory - oh see you got it - good. Let's hope it's the right part!   I still haven't heard back from very concerned Panasonic manager who was going to call me Monday morning!!  Will have to set up the ironing board, put the phone on speaker, and find something to watch on telly before I call them again.   Ah, not surprised son is waffling re Christmas.

Gary: I see you've been driving Diane up the wall with photos of irresistably cute little puppies. The least you can do now is bundle up her favorite and send it to her!  Enjoy MiL visit.  Hope the weather is okay.

dibnlib:  Kittens generate pretty good "aaahs." Check out this very funny video on Trucker Steve's blog from earlier this week  I think it's looped to play over and over - but it's so funny.  http://bigrigtravels.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-12-15T05%3A04%3A00-07%3A00   Sad to see the passing of an era - I guess - with the last Harrier. I'm sure they'll keep several for shows, museums, etc., maybe even rides!

Brenda: Yes indeed, found three olive trees. I was going to settle for three 15 gallon containers, although the plan called for 24" boxed trees.  Saw some nice smaller ones, but then spied three wonderful specimens - nicely shaped and multi-trunked that will make an immediate impact and fill lots of space and since we budgeted for the larger specimens, I thought "Oh just do it."  Also managed to see several of the plants that are being put aside for the garden, including a Satsuma tangerine (small that) that we may wait to plant until the spring since seems I heard this wasn't a good time to mess with citrus, or maybe that was just lemon trees.

patriciat:  Yes, and so many topics to write about.  :-)  Hope the snow doesn't interfere with your practice - good luck with the actual concert.

TerryM: Oh do hope you get a decent enough turnout for your concert. Wish we could all come - but maybe we'd embarrass you!

Lynette: Your oven sounds like my old one, which specialized in producing surprise temperatures in various parts of the oven - I really needed a rotating thingie a la microwave. However, the new Bosch is Wonderul. When I choose 350 degrees, that's what I get!  Amazing!  Oh that is a sleepy owl - if I closed my eyes and stood on one foot, I hate to think what would happen.

Diane: Your friend's photos of those dogs almost had me in tears. I assume they're all at your house now - I would be hard pressed to resist them. Their eyes seem to reflect such hope and yearning.  Boohoo. They seem so much more human than cats.  But seriously, I've already been thinking about you out there on your lonesome. If you could get a job not too far away, maybe you could get a dog; if not, maybe a goose - they're noisy and probably don't need hugs like a dog would. I'm blathering; igonore me.

Anyway, off to bed. Another busy day tomorrow; nowhere near ready for Christmas. Take care all. 

• Morning Everyone:   At least I think its morning! - its so dark, it's like night time, here.  And its raining, too - grrr!  We are now promised very cold temperatures indeed by tonight, for whole of UK.  Think I'll stay in, and get those chores done, instead of being outside, today.

Havn't read the  above posts, yet, and never really caught up on yesterdays, so will do that, now.  Have a Good Day!

• Morning all,

Linda : Its like the crack of doom here this morning and I have to face the most daunting of all shopping missions this morning. Yes you've guessed it, Tescos the week before Christmas. I'm going out soon and I may be some time.

Not read the posts yet either but I did like the puppies thet Gary put on. temp is 6.8c but expected to fall during the day. It is dark and it is raining.

• Hello Everyone:

Not blogged for a few days but I have been reading all your news. Have read the cardstaken note of all the good hearted banter and  enjoyed the puppy photos but no chance of watching any video about rescued dogs as I think OH has put the parental lock on as he knows what I would do!!

Well my lawn has vanished in the night as for once the weather forcasters got it right, it is also  very windy so that means drifting on the roads.

All bets are on to whether or not the scaffies(bin men) come today. The 2 really bad Thursdays they came, last week road clear and it was a no show. I am one of the lucky ones as I seemed to inherit 2 wheelie bins when we moved in. I also do a lot of recycling, we don't get that collected in rural areas and the points to take it are in remote areas so sometimes hard to get to. Hence getting the ladies digging me out when I took bottles to the point at the school.

RSPB bird food order came but it took nearly 2 weeks and as they pheasants ecs are ravenous today and every other day come to that so I am not too sure how long it will last. I gather big stores that deal online have stopped all deliveries up here. Talk about panic just because Edinburgh and Glasgow came to a halt because they are not used to this weather we all have to suffer. My 90 year old neighbour has a theory that we didn't get a bin collection as they were all sent to the capital as they didn't like unemptied bins. He might have a point

Like everyone else can't wait to get the shortest day over with and the anticipation of longer evenings and brighter mornings

To those out and about take care and everyone have a good day.

• Morning all ... dark and gloomy here too ... but even worse ... its snowing ... BOOOOOO! OH and are supposed to be going out for lunch today ... not sure if it will happen now :-(

Gary - such adorable little puppies ... almost makes me want a dog!

Diane - such a sad array of unwanted cats and dogs on your link ... poor thing. I hope circumstances will allow you to have a dog when you have finished your renovations. Apart from good company for you, living alone as you do, it could prove a deterrent to unwanted visitors! Seeing that policeman on your property must  have been scarey ... it would have freaked me out! Take care and look after yourself.

OG - glad to hear your package arrived ... it obviously took the roundabout route!! The other one is no doubt enjoying the scenic tour of Britain :-) Probably best not to know the details of son's antics with the things mentioned ... good to know he was enjoying himself though.

Like others have said, I, too, watched the last Harriers flying ... so sad.

EJ's return clock is under the 100 days ... yippeeee! I can't believe the time is passing so quickly.

Take care everyone.

Joan - avid bird and nature watcher in Northumberland!

Index Thread

• Hope you can get out for your lunch today, Joan.  Shame if the weather spoils plans for everyone.  Had to laugh at vision of Alan, off on a dangerous mission!  - don't like Tescos myself when its near to Christmas!

Gary:   You need a Health Warning on those puppy pictures, they are so distracting!  Aaaaaaahhh!!!!

Jealous to read that Lynette is ahead of herself this year, in the Chr. planning and chores.  Oh I so wish! Thanks for the lovely Owl pics, so dignified!

auntie puts us to shame moaning about the temperatures, when it sounds so very c o l d  there.....brr!  Keep yourself warm, auntie!

Thanks to Alan for the lovely pic of  Store Mosse in the sunset.

margo - glad to hear little Billy Whizz is coping, with your help, and sorry to hear about poor Rhys, what a scare for his parents.  Hope he is recovering well, now & they can enjoy Christmas. Lovely story about the Hoopoe.  Have a good time when you are out again tonight!

AQ:  Did laugh at the description of the Man in the Store - so funny!   (My OH hates shopping, with a passion!)