Technical test thread 2011-forever

I thought I might bump up this thread which goes back to 2011 (it's been bumped before) and was started by the wonderful Tiger

It contains all sorts of useful info on technical problems, handy hints for inserting photos and links and, latterly, the fact that we seem to get 'notifications' that we can't get rid of (I'm up to 6).

If nothing else, another trip down memory lane.

• Many thanks Cirrus! I've just followed your instructions and it worked !! I think the 'way to do it' is unchanged so just me having forgotten having not posted a snap since last year

• Pretty pusscat!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I can now 'quote' and do posh links but how do I insert a photo please? It may be no different from before The Great Switcheroo but I've forgotten

Being lazy, I just slide snaps from their folder into the Reply box but I've been disappointed that they're coming out too small.  Test...

Snap slid in:

Snap uploaded with size-box blanked out:

Ooooh!  I hope nobody official sees this! AstonishedGrin

IMAGICAT

• Well, all browsers seem to me to be as  corrupt as each other . Can't remember  why I'm disappointed with Firefox but I do still download from FF.  And your owl is spectacular Scylla . Has Greenshot been adversely updated?  I must remember  not to update mine . I'd be lost without it

• Absolutely beautiful Scylla

•  

Greenshot hasn't been updated and is working as it always has, it was all a misunderstanding.

IMAGICAT

• OH, thank you so much dear friend . I really appreciate your response

• My mended broken laptop gave me a msg just after I booted it up - "Your hard drive is failing" Scream

Phoned the Mick the Mender, he said he never saw that and Yes, I don't have a hard drive I have SSD (I had pointed that out to him), nevertheless send it back and he'll put a new drive in it and it will take 2TB even tho Dell says it'll only take 1TB...

I won't say "watch this space".

IMAGICAT

• How strange Scylla but good that you can have new drive of such magnitude ... will it be for free? Thinking  You'll end up with so much space & power you won't know what to record first ... btw am now looking at refurbished laptops with Windows 10 but just saw that it will be unsupported sometime next yearRolling eyes ... maybe time I retired?Rolling eyes

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• am now looking at refurbished laptops with Windows 10 but just saw that it will be unsupported sometime next year

I know, Wendy :(((  But !!! 

1) You've been happily using unsupported Win7 for FOUR years.

2) How many progs/apps will be unable to run on Win11?  With Win10 all my Win7 gear was OK, can't remember if I had to use Compatibility Troubleshooter, don't think so.

3) Win11 does have some good features (I'm told) but interferes a lot and has a lot more buried settings.  And they've done away with the calendar that usefully popped up with a click on Taskbar icon, showing current month with day, date, time, and the ability to add a couple of time-zone equivalents - all at a glance.

IMAGICAT