LOCH OF THE LOWES - MARCH/APRIL 2022

Link to August 2021 to end of February 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021 return dates: LM12 (Laddie) - 21st March;  NC0(16) - 25th March

Laddie and NC0 were an exceptional team during 2021, successfully raising two very feisty and well fed juveniles, LR1 and LR2.  LR2 was sighted in Southern Spain on 3.9.21 and again on 25.10.21

2022 marks Laddie's 11th breeding year, NC0's 3rd, and very much hope that our wonderful pair have a safe, spring migration back to this stunning nest location at Loch of the Lowes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March/April Blogs and Updates

4.3.22: Blog (which includes a summary of the 2021 season with videos) >>> The countdown has begun...

13.3.22 c12:00: Laddie (LM12) arrived back from migration. 

Blog >>> LM12 has arrived back at Loch of the Lowes

23.3.22 c18:14: NC0 arrived back from migration. 

Blog >>> NC0 has arrived back at Loch of the Lowes

25.3.22: LotL Presentation >>> The Osprey Season: What can we expect?

31.3.22: Blog >>> Crowded House: Intruding Ospreys at Loch of the Lowes

5.4.22: Blog >>> When Will We Have Osprey Eggs at Loch of the Lowes?

12.4.22 c18:35: Egg #1  Blog >>> NC0 lays her first egg of 2022!

15.4.22 c16:05: Egg #2  Blog >>> NC0 has laid her second egg!

16.4.22: Blog >>> Updates from Week 1 & 2 of Osprey Watch at Loch of the Lowes

16.4.22: PT4(19) arrived back from migration.

Blog by Joanna Dailey (18.4.22) >>> Loch of the Lowes' PT4 returns to Kielder Forest

18.4.22 c12:14: Egg #3  Blog >>> NC0 lays her 3rd egg!

26.4.22: Blog >>> Updates from Week 3 of Osprey Watch at Loch of the Lowes

29.4.22: Blog >>> Meet Our Species Protection Officers at Loch of the Lowes

• Geemeff said:
    I'm part of the Flight of the Osprey team

How exciting!  The last I heard (many months ago) Sacha had been injured, so it's good to see that she's back in action.

Geemeff said:
    My job as media volunteer is to source exciting nest cam footage

Maybe you could post in Osprey Chat re any support you would need/like in that department?

I hope to be conscious and free to join in the event on 09 May  

In reply to Geemeff:

Thank you for the info re Sacha Dench and the upcoming FOTO briefing, Geemeff, it sounds intriguing!

You're welcome, I hope you've found some really good footage that you can use 

Thank you for your support, Sandra and Scylla. There's no lack of exciting footage - making a choice is going to be the difficult bit. Sacha is recovering from that dreadful accident and fully involved in the pre-flight planning.

• Sandra P said:
    At 17:52ish, NC0 was alarmed and gave human intruder calls as she shot off the nest! Quick footsteps could be heard just before and after she left the nest. There were 'splashing' sounds in the water once the footsteps had stopped.

I used a different transition pattern to make it obvious when some was cut out, it's a bit startling ;)

• Good capture Scylla. Poor NCO, I wonder if the Loch of the Lowes staff were aware of this?
  • Good morning Scylla, Glider and all

Many thanks for the vid, Scylla. There is so much protection around the site. I wonder who managed to slip through?

Laddie is on his second incubation duty of the morning. His first was when he arrived at 4:55

Laddie's second at 8:26ish

9:12 Laddie at present

©SWT/LotL

• Some outbursts of chipping by Laddie from 9:46, he scanned the sky on many occasions. No threat seen and was calm again at 9:52. He remained on the eggs throughout

©SWT/LotL

• 10:20 Possibly NC0 on the birch

©SWT/LotL

• 10:38 NC0 returned to the nest with some nesting material

The look on Laddie's face! lol  Can just imagine him thinking 'What on earth is that?!'

Laddie off for his break

She released the nesting material on the edge of the nest cup before settling down

BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Laddie's been up to his stick antics again!

10:50ish A short time after my last post

Straight onto NC0's back

Then he placed it onto her head. It slid off to the left once she had given her head a shake

12:33 was the next stick delivery

Thank goodness NC0 moved her head to her left as he landed

She rose from the eggs as he was placing it

Stretched her wings...

...and headed off to the birch

Laddie's incubation lasted no more than 5 minutes as NC0 returned with some nesting material, very similar to a couple of hours before

Off he went

14:18 NC0 has continued to incubate. At present she is keeping the eggs nice and dry while it rains

©SWT/LotL

• It is so funny when the varied assortment of large, tricky sticks arrive. The look on the face of whichever Osprey is sitting is always priceless! Laughing We’re so lucky to have such a great insight to their lives here with fantastic camera coverage.