LOCH OF THE LOWES - MARCH/APRIL 2022

Link to August 2021 to end of February 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021 return dates: LM12 (Laddie) - 21st March;  NC0(16) - 25th March

Laddie and NC0 were an exceptional team during 2021, successfully raising two very feisty and well fed juveniles, LR1 and LR2.  LR2 was sighted in Southern Spain on 3.9.21 and again on 25.10.21

2022 marks Laddie's 11th breeding year, NC0's 3rd, and very much hope that our wonderful pair have a safe, spring migration back to this stunning nest location at Loch of the Lowes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March/April Blogs and Updates

4.3.22: Blog (which includes a summary of the 2021 season with videos) >>> The countdown has begun...

13.3.22 c12:00: Laddie (LM12) arrived back from migration. 

Blog >>> LM12 has arrived back at Loch of the Lowes

23.3.22 c18:14: NC0 arrived back from migration. 

Blog >>> NC0 has arrived back at Loch of the Lowes

25.3.22: LotL Presentation >>> The Osprey Season: What can we expect?

31.3.22: Blog >>> Crowded House: Intruding Ospreys at Loch of the Lowes

5.4.22: Blog >>> When Will We Have Osprey Eggs at Loch of the Lowes?

12.4.22 c18:35: Egg #1  Blog >>> NC0 lays her first egg of 2022!

15.4.22 c16:05: Egg #2  Blog >>> NC0 has laid her second egg!

16.4.22: Blog >>> Updates from Week 1 & 2 of Osprey Watch at Loch of the Lowes

16.4.22: PT4(19) arrived back from migration.

Blog by Joanna Dailey (18.4.22) >>> Loch of the Lowes' PT4 returns to Kielder Forest

18.4.22 c12:14: Egg #3  Blog >>> NC0 lays her 3rd egg!

26.4.22: Blog >>> Updates from Week 3 of Osprey Watch at Loch of the Lowes

29.4.22: Blog >>> Meet Our Species Protection Officers at Loch of the Lowes

• Sandra P said:

Good morning,

Laddie came to the nest at 4:43

Sandra, thank you for that great update - I've been a bit busy, see post below, all these updates are fantastic. I love how beautifully the eggs show up at night.

The fish tail was still next to the eggs

BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Hi all - I'd like to tell you that I'm part of the Flight of the Osprey team (#FOTO), and invite you to the pre-launch zoom briefing we're holding on 9th May at 19.00 UK time (GMT+1).

Background: Sacha Dench (AKA the Human Swan), is the UN Ambassador for the Convention on Migratory Species and is going to be following the migration route of UK sat-tagged Ospreys from Scotland to the west coast of Africa. Her organisation is called Conservation Without Borders, she'll be flying in a paramotor and the team will be landing in places along the route favoured by the Ospreys, to highlight conservation issues from climate change to human intervention such as poaching and power lines.

My job as media volunteer is to source exciting nest cam footage - I'll be using some LotL footage and talks are being held around the possibility that the FOTO team might land at LotL. - and keeping fellow Osprey enthusiasts updated on the project. So if you've ever wondered where our Ospreys go on their winter hols and would like to get involved from the comfort of your sofa, here's the link for the briefing:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7534698525 No sign up needed, just log in on the 9th. I'll post a reminder nearer the time - hope to see some of you there.

www.conservation-without-borders.org/flight-of-the-osprey

• Thank you for the info re Sacha Dench and the upcoming FOTO briefing, Geemeff, it sounds intriguing!

You're welcome, I hope you've found some really good footage that you can use Thumbsup

• A brief recap with regards to activity on the nest that I could find so far today:

At around 10:20ish, Laddie came onto the nest while NC0 was incubating. He chipped and mantled briefly but no threat was seen and he flew away

He returned about 20 minutes later, once again chipping and looking around; NC0 was on alert too. Nothing came of that either. Hopefully, just intruders passing through. 

NC0 went for a break at this point and Laddie took over incubation for an hour and a half

At 14:35ish, NC0 rose from incubation , flapped her wings and headed off for a comfort break

Eggs were alone for about 3 minutes until she returned

On her return, she made some soft contact calls as she settled on the eggs - was she 'talking' to them?

16:55 NC0

I can't see that a fish has been delivered yet

©SWT/LotL

• Geemeff said:
    I'm part of the Flight of the Osprey team

How exciting!  The last I heard (many months ago) Sacha had been injured, so it's good to see that she's back in action.

Geemeff said:
    My job as media volunteer is to source exciting nest cam footage

Maybe you could post in Osprey Chat re any support you would need/like in that department?

I hope to be conscious and free to join in the event on 09 May Blush 

• At 17:52ish, NC0 was alarmed and gave human intruder calls as she shot off the nest! Quick footsteps could be heard just before and after she left the nest. There were 'splashing' sounds in the water once the footsteps had stopped.

NC0 could be heard calling on the cam post before coming onto the nest. She was off screen for a couple of minutes

Edit: There were ripples in the water (area at bottom of pic, closet to the nest) after the 'splashing' sounds. Two ducks or grebes were seen swimming off.

©SWT/LotL

• 20:14 A headless fish from Laddie (the same type as yesterday's one, I think). NC0 was up flapping her wings before he landed!

Cam zoomed in

Cam panned out...

Then zoomed in again Slight smile

©SWT/LotL

• 21:12 Laddie looking so handsome! Heart eyes

©SWT/LotL

• 21:21 NC0 returned to the perch. She must have finished the fish already as she came back with empty talons

Laddie headed off to roost

©SWT/LotL