Poole Harbour Ospreys 2022

Start of a new year so start of a new thread. 

I have changed the title slightly.

It could be a momentous year when, hopefully, our resident Ospreys return.

For the 2021 thread click HERE

Richard B

• 8C did visit Poole Harbour last year on her way south. This was confirmed by one of the Poole Harbour Osprey folk when we were on a boat trip there in late August. In fact she was seen during the week we were there and may have been one of the Ospreys we saw at a huge distance from the boat, one of which was an adult who caught a fish while we watched. Sorry, I've forgotten who was talking about 8C (there were two folks from the Poole Osprey project onboard and several other known birdie folk and at least five of them talked during the trip) but they also said that 8C was a non-breeding adult, which I seriously wondered about. They have no way of knowing, nor do we. But I thought at the time and still do that she is surely old enough to be a breeding bird and probably is. After all, she is a daughter of the wonderful Mrs G and probably has the glare and attitude of her mother. What other female Osprey would argue with her over a nest site?!--Lol!! 8C has been seen in Africa two or three times and in the Poole Harbour area more than once before today's sighting. She may have headed north to breed after reaching breeding age like several of her brothers. There are a lot of Ospreys in Scotland now, although not as many as there should be, many on inaccessible sites. I would like to think that 8C probably has a string of successfully nesting offspring and grandchicks of her own who are also breeding oop north, possibly all of them unringed.

Kind regards, Ann

• Oh, I so hope you are right Gardenbirder. As for 'non breeding' , as you say, how could they possibly know! since she is of breeding age I would have thought it more than likely she has been breeding in Scotland . Let us remember precious lass having a go in Aberfoyle . 8c may be similar.

OK ok , i don't know what I'm talking about I expect.
  • Exactly, Cirrus!

Kind regards, Ann

• Sheila, on the live chat please ignore Peter’s whimsy! It’s just a bit of fun, but can cause confusion.

Lovely to see 8C pay us another visit today.

• She could be breeding in a remote obscure nest in Wales. You never know!

Richard B

• Thank you, Alison. It did leave me wondering!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Unknown said:
    they also said that 8C was a non-breeding adult

I wonder if they'd seen her behaving like one at a time when she'd have been egg- or osplet-sitting if she'd bred?  That's all I can think of.

No more excitement to report for the rest of the day.

IMAGICAT

• 30 March

18:35 in a 6-hour session that's unresponsive to editor so I can't narrow it down for optimal shot, was this a Goldfinch?

31 March

NO SNOW !!!

IMAGICAT

• Yes it was a Goldie.

Richard B

• The sun and the corvids at 7 o'clock this morning:

IMAGICAT