Poole Harbour Ospreys 2022

Start of a new year so start of a new thread. 

I have changed the title slightly.

It could be a momentous year when, hopefully, our resident Ospreys return.

For the 2021 thread click HERE

• Unknown said:

Scylla
    The original nest. The Raven flies in, this time with a KitKat. 1957 and 45 secs.

All I can say is... see my remarks to Janet below.  Heartbroken Broken heart 

Like others, I wonder where he's getting these treats?  I reckon someone is putting them out purposely and enjoying watching them being pilfered Grin 

Janet B said:
    Don't know if this will work as not done this before

(1) Well it did work!  If you'd like your video to come out bigger, just backspace out the preset sizes in the Insert box, leave them blank:

(2) Great capture, JANET Hugging I've kept up with this cam mainly for the return of our Nightjar - but if you hadn't posted, I'd have missed it, it was very hard to find even tho I knew it was there !!! :(((  As mentioned before, I often have a problem scrolling thru this cam this season, never did before.

Am so happy s/he's back, hopefully we'll see meet-ups.

Oops!  This is Janet's NIGHTJAR video - which I'd BOPS'd:

• scylla said:
    Like others, I wonder where he's getting these treats?  I reckon someone is putting them out purposely and enjoying watching them being pilfered  

Well, I'm prepared to travel quite a distance for a bourbon. I think we should be told where the generous benefactor lives

• 12 May

Lots and lots of individual Raven visits but I've not snapped him/her.

Two little birds caught my eye (see?  how come the Nightjar isn't flagging itself?)

Probably a Greenfinch:

Did this one visit the other day?  I can't remember and no time to check back:

Cam has been dropping out since evening.  I've gone up to 02:00 and not found Nightjar.

• Raven brought something with a filling (sandwich crusts?)

• Hopefully this is 022 bringing CJ7 a fish and taking over incubation. Have tried to make it bigger, thanks scylla!

• Janet B said:
    Raven brought something with a filling (sandwich crusts?)

On that occasion s/he dug it out of the nest (footage not edited):

13/14 May

Nightjar overnight - NINE visits that I counted!  Disappointingly, only one birdie at a time, so I've no idea if there was a courting couple.

Don't worry - after the first long visit it's all FF till the last take-off.

14 May 06:16

I hope this is a Goldfinch - did someone have to correct me the last time I claimed a Goldfinch?

Lovely song, which has been worked on so I hope you can hear it OK.  All too short:

• 14 May

Raven descended from campost, it picked over the nest and flew with an unidentifiable morsel:

A bit later there were two, one on the perch and the other digging all over the nest - that one found something, too.

• Male Greenfinch, male Stonechat and Goldfinch in the 3 pictures Scylla
  • Thank you, RICHARD!  Hmm, Stonechat...hmm, will I ever learn that one?

The RAVENS!  Some performances this morning, right around the time my system seized up - and the PERCH has disappeared !!!

According to my footage there was a big glitch at the crucial moment - one second it was there, the next, both it and the birds were gone.  So I've been paralysed while re-recording from rollback - only to find it's exactly the same there, we will never know how the perch got disparu'd Stuck out tongue 

However, some interesting/unusual behaviour from the Ravens.

Parent to youngster "You've got jam from that donut in the corner of your beak":

We'll never know...

Lots more activity from the Ravens but no more time here.

The NIghtjar is going to be bereft !!!

Can we get in touch with BOPH?  I've been wanting to for ages, to report the glitches on the rejected nest, but knowing how they'd be focused on CJ7 & 022, I didn't like to make a fuss.

• What wonderful raven vids, Scylla.  It caused me to check them out/consultt Wiki! - breed at 2, more likely 3 and 'mate for life', with territories.  Much as osprey!!