NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2022

News from Other Nests 2021

CAPTIVA OSPREYS - Andy & Lena

I'd been posting in "Forum Friends", here's a snap brought over, for the sake of starting this thread with something!

• He was! And what I said.. he had so much fun too

They are a bit different than the uk birds btw.. much more white on the juveniles feathers

There was a kestrel on the #2 nest today, which didn’t have Ospreys this year…

What a beautiful bird that is Heart eyes

https://youtu.be/DnUYzTKYem0 

• Alyth

UK News is full of depressing news about the state of the Nation's Dental Service. So this view of a juvenile at Alyth amused me this morning. Who needs teeth anyway!

SSEN Alyth

• Hello.

Someone in the dyfi chat mentioned a new cam on the osprey nest of Port Lincoln South Australia..

https://youtu.be/SpDEQV7-Cbg 

It has 3 eggs, the last one laid this morning (local time)..

Port Lincoln Osprey Observation Board

Monday 15 August 2022
    08.09        Third egg of the season

Friday 12 August 2022
    5.55        Second egg for the season

Tuesday 9 August 2022
    03.18         First egg for the season

And.. it's snowing right now (not really of course)

• And we start of with a hilarious moment.

Mum comes to take the incubation over and dad is caught by the wind and tumbles head over heels across the nest, over the eggs.. Mum then shows the eggs, before settling down.

• Oh dear, that’s a proper headstand! Smile
  • Bart molenaar said:
    dad is caught by the wind and tumbles head over heels

It's not unusual for ospreys to be caught by the wind - but I've never seen one held by it so long - thanks, BART! Rofl

BTW, I did follow Port Lincoln a couple of years ago but it was a sad time, with chick #3 losing its life due to "neglect".  There were some problems with the cam, too - so when you say it's a new one, let's hope it's more reliable Blush

• They have a new barge and the cam looks good (even some panning around) just a very low sound, so I have to beware before getting to our loud kids in the uk ;-)..
    And I read.. quite a history for that nest Scream
  • Both juvies are still around at Alyth. Screenshot from yesterday with the juvie on the left eating a fish.

And from early this morning, again the juvie on the left with a fish.

Later on this morning, the male adult brought in a tiny fish.

There was quite a scramble to get it.

It’ll be gone in 2 bites!!

I don’t know if the adult female is still around, blue HK0.

• And another fish delivery, a flat fish. So it looks like the juveniles are still being well looked after here at Alyth in preparation for their migration.

• Re: Alyth
    I have just watched the last remnants of this fish being eaten - it has taken 4 hours! In that time there has been no sign of the sibling since this morning.
    Did you notice Glider there was a break in transmission overnight? Approximate times 21.15 and 06.05 this morning so we have no clue about visits and/or feeds in that period. It means that we can still review some footage from last night as it is still on rewind.
    It's good to see that Dad is still delivering fish but with no sign of Mum, I guess she has gone.