Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 October 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week! 

Please check back to last week's thread to see all of Clare's phenomenal photography from her trip to Mull!!! You won't be sorry!

• Well, Clare, it is good that you and Limpy have your reservations set for next year. I would have done too, seeing how nice the B&B is and the beautiful shots of the environment. They offer great context for your nature shots.

Clare Bailey said:
    Finishing with the B&B where we stayed.
  • Lovely pics, Clare.

Last week, my OH played in a golf competition. His usual partner was not available, so he partnered up with someone he didn't really know well. Halfway around, as they marked each others scorecards, the other man said "Why has your card got a big 'V' on it?" My OH said "It means I am a veteran player - over 75 years old" The other man was incredulous- he thought my OH was his age, about 66. "Are you really 75?" he asked. "No," said my OH ---"I'm 77!!"
  • Lindybird said:
    Last week, my OH played in a golf competition. His usual partner was not available, so he partnered up with someone he didn't really know well. Halfway around, as they marked each others scorecards, the other man said "Why has your card got a big 'V' on it?" My OH said "It means I am a veteran player - over 75 years old" The other man was incredulous- he thought my OH was his age, about 66. "Are you really 75?" he asked. "No," said my OH ---"I'm 77!!"

He must have been chuffed to bits!  Bet he came back with a big smile on his face.

• SunnyKate:  Fabulous link!!  Amazing - thank you for sharing.  The buildings were fascinating,  especially the mosque in Benin, built by returning descendants of slaves taken to Brazil. It looks so much like the churches in South America (and Spain too I presume). What stories the architecture represents.   Loved the Lesotho murals too.  It makes me realize how much I don't know about the rest of the world.  Sigh.

Clare:  Hurray!  Scenic shots - so pretty - and love those painted houses.  Must check out what kind of rocks are pink - aha!  It's Pink Granite, about 420 million years old.  Wow.  Now I feel really insignificant.   :-))  Here's what Wikipedia says: The pink Caledonian granite at the western end of the Ross of Mull has been worked as a building stone and features locally in Iona Cathedral. It may also be found in the lighthouses at Skerryvore and Ardnamurchan Point and much further afield in the Albert Memorial and Blackfriars and Westminster bridges in London.  Your photos reflect a landscape and culture so very different from those in SunnyKate's shots, which are themselves so different. Makes me want to tour the world....   That B&B looks really nice 

AQ;  Good to read you're out and about with the camera...  

Lindybird:  Your OH is probably fine, but good to play it safe.  I bet he was thrilled (albeit secretly) at the compliment from his golf buddy.

More things on the ToDo-list.......

• Unknown said:
    That B&B looks really nice 

It's massively lovely.  I had a nice email from the couple running it today - they were pleased we'd booked for next year and were looking forward to seeing us both.  The feeling's mutual.

• How nice Clare...:-)

Thank you to those of you concerned for my OH. He's not too worried, as I said, they did not go indoors together and never shake hands, even (some players do, which seems crazy to me!)
    Edit: It's been a whole week since they met so as my OH is fine, it's more likely that his friend caught it playing bowls & then going into the clubhouse.

Annette - I think he was pleased about the age thing...  he does have steely white hair now but looks well & I think is one of those it's hard to put an age on.

Bonnie caught a squirrel tonight on their walk and unfortunately, killed it. It reminds me of when I had my beloved cats, and was cut up whenever they caught birds. Nature will out, I suppose.

• I'm also pretty sure your OH will be OK, Lindy.. It sounds like his youthful-looking head is pretty screwed on.
  • KATE - Some amazing designs on your link. Too bad we don’t see African buildings very often (except for pyramids & safari huts). I did giggle at the topsy-turvy cross windows on the Nigerian chapel.

CLARE – Thank you for the tour of Mull scenery. Well done for booking B&B for next year.

Our weather girl has some unusual descriptions. Last eve she suggested today’s weather would depend on where the “Low would land”.  Obviously it didn’t “land” here as it was fine all day. Sometimes she predicts a “splash” of rain. I’m not sure how that compares with a “sprinkle”.

• Sorry for being late. I was enjoying my last few minutes not being here.

I’ve told you I’d be there in five minutes. . . Stop calling me every half an hour.

I saw my ex broken down with two flat tyres this morning which made me late for work. . . Nine times I drove past before he noticed me laughing at him.

• fine all day”. OK, make me a liar. It is now raining. So far, a sprinkle on the paths.