MANTON BAY – JULY 2021

Continued from Manton Bay – June 2021.   

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

The season so far:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45,  #2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first chick on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one egg being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095.    

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• 33 back to nest delivers fish to 095 and great news Karen 096 eating a fish on the perch! Yipee!!
  • Maya has come to campost for a closer look at the fish! Hoping there will be some left for her this time!
  • LAM said:
    33 back to nest delivers fish to 095 and great news Karen 096 eating a fish on the perch! Yipee!!

Thanks LAM - captures to compliment your post :-)

11:30   33 delivers fish to 095

11:41   095 still tucking in

c LWRT

Great news that 096 is eating a fish on the perch - thanks LAM

Hopefully when finished, 095 leaves it on the nest for Maya :-)

• Yes Karen really hope so as although Maya can fish for herself not seeing her do that at the moment so she must be hungry! 095 tried to lift the flapping fish initially and fly with it. Thankfully she has stayed on the nest and perhaps Maya coming to cam post is trying to train her that she can eat have her share and no need to feel threatened! Ha ha wishful thinking maybe :-)
  • LAM said:
    Maya has come to campost for a closer look at the fish! Hoping there will be some left for her this time!

LAM  - some captures to follow up your post :-)

12:10   Maya comes down from the campost to the nest and it appears she has managed to get some fallen fish 

12:13  095 looks around but settles and continues to eat while Maya waits

12:15  Maya picks up more fish

12:16   095 finished and cleans her beak

12:17  095 has flown and Maya has the fish

12:19   Maya stands with the fish looking - is she waiting on 096?

12:20   Maya flies off with the fish

c  LRWT

Hopefully Maya will now have a good feed and 096 if he wants more

• Thanks LAM, as you say Maya can fish for herself so we know that she will never go hungry and our concern is for 096 but great news, and thanks so much for telling us, that 096 was eating a fish on the perch.

It is just such a relief as I always thought that fish was brought to the nest for the young - I wasn't sure if they could deliver/exchange on the perch but evidently they can :-) I really would hate for 096 to set off on a forced migration because he was not getting fed.

And who knows you may be right that Maya is training her. Things definitely looking better today.

And I must go again, break over. I am decorating and on the pasting so wont be posting for a bit lol

Enjoy your day :-)

• Maya has been flying with the fish since leaving the nest! She cannot settle anywhere! The fish has been up and round the bay about 5 times! Great arial display but sad she not able to relax enough to eat the fish on her perch!
  • It's torrential Maya still in air with fish!
  • Hope she doesn't lose fish in storm!