Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 June 2021

I hope everyone has a serene and joyful week! The June Solstice is Sunday evening or Monday depending on your location. Insert your nearest city or town in the search box on Time and Date to see the exact time for your area. 

• All: Indiana made the national news across the country yesterday because a mysterious new disease is killing our songbirds, as well as birds in 6 other states and Washington DC. Birds with the illness demonstrate neurological symptoms, including seizures and the inability to balance themselves. The birds may behave as if they are blind, and they don't fly away when approached. They also have swollen, crusty eyes. No one knows yet whether the bird illness is transmissible to humans, but the state and federal scientists seem to be taking special interest in the outbreak. The dead birds have tested negative for West Nile Virus and Avian Influenza. The species affected include: blue jay, American robin, common grackle, Northern cardinal, European starling, and a few others.

I thought I'd mention it, because it's killed hundreds of birds and could spread to the U.K.

National INFO HERE and State INFO HERE 

• DIANE - I couldn't access the state info but the first link is worrying. I can't work out how it could be linked to the cicadas but must be cross infection...

• HEATHER: Here are some mystifying facts:

(1) There isn't any evidence yet to show that the Brood X cicadas are responsible for or associated with the bird deaths.

(2) It is true that the bird deaths have been documented in states where the cicadas are prevalent. I initially thought that they must be playing a role.

(3) However: In Indiana, the bird deaths have been concentrated in five counties. Two of those counties are in the uppermost northern part of our state. Those two counties were not part of the Brood X cicada emergence. They are not in the Brood X territory. So in Indiana, at least, it doesn't appear that the cicadas are associated with the massive bird mortality.

Scientists are baffled about the cause. They're warning people not to touch the dead birds. 

Thanks for your interest, Heather. Hope you're well. 

• Morning all:

AQ:  LOVE those TV comments!

Diane:  I missed the news about the birds (have missed the national news a few nights in a row), but that's just awful. I do hope they figure it out.

Daughter due here Thursday for quick trip, then granddaughter and Ms D due a couple of weeks after that.  Ms. D will stay on for a week before I ferry her halfway home.  Then I'm hoping/planning to head north of San Francisco for a few days to see some old friends, then my Kansas City friend is (finally!) able to travel to see her daughter and appendages down the road in Long Beach for the first time in more than a year so she'll probably come stay with us for a couple of days.  Meanwhile, I and an old friend in  San Pedro have been trying to arrange a visit.....  Meanwhile, sister in UK is having a rough time with new meds so that's another consideration that could blow everything else out of the water.....  

Take care everyone.

• Sorry to hear about your sister, Annette. I hope all comes right for her. You are in for busy times ahead, by the sound of your diary.

I just had to sign in again to get on here <sigh>

We went to the funeral I mentioned, and it was in a fairly new crematorium which has been built locally. The gardens were beautiful, almost worth a picture: formal tree planting but behind and amongst them, there were wild flower meadows of ornamental grasses with pretty white flowers blowing in the breeze, and lavender coloured flowers of some kind. Whilst there was some music playing during the service (no singing allowed) I was seated by the window and could see a small busy wagtail dipping around on the gravel. There were a lot of relatives attending as the lady had 3 children, several grandchildren, some great grandchildren and even a couple of great great grandchildren!

Afterwards we decided we needed a treat, so went to a pub we know in the area for lunch. Not very busy there but our delicious lunch was a long time arriving. However, as I said, it was very good. Not much done this afternoon as we'd had a glass of wine with it!
  • Tears here this afternoon:

The Scottish Dark Sky Observatory in Ayrshire has been destroyed in a "suspicious" fire.
    Fire ripped through the observatory in the early hours of Wednesday morning
    Emergency services were called to the site on the edge of the Galloway Forest Park at about 01:00.
    A joint police and fire service investigation will be carried out to try to establish the cause.
    The Scottish Dark Sky Observatory opened on the edge of Galloway forest park in late 2012
    Det Con Steven Grey said: "The observatory is run by a charity organisation and the financial impact and damage caused is extremely significant.
    "It is vital we establish the full circumstances surrounding what happened and I am appealing to anyone with information to come forward.
    "The observatory is in a remote location and I would like to speak to anyone who may have been in the area on Tuesday night, into Wednesday morning."
    The Galloway Forest Park straddles the regions of East Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway and it achieved Dark Sky Park recognition in 2009. The observatory was officially opened in 2012.
  • How dreadful OG. I hope they can catch them, whoever they are, but of course even then it won't bring things back. Heartbreaking for those involved.
  • Hi all, first time on this week.
    Thanks Diane for starting us off - worrying about the bird illness, do hope they can get to the bottom of it.

Annette - you are a busy girl, hope all the visits pan out and do hope your sister can sort her meds out.

Lindybird - I know what you mean about signing in. Didn't have to this time but every so often the cut me off
    so have to sign in. Glad you enjoyed your lunch after having to go to a funeral.

We took OH out to his favourite Carvery on Sunday, meal was very nice. I don't go for carvery but had two starters, one as a mains. So soup to start with and then chicken liver pate with the trimmings. Sweet was an absolutely delicious pavlova topped with strawberries and cream. Well, holiday is paid for now we need to check up at the beginning of next month if it is still going ahead, hopefully so. Can;t wait to see Scotland again.

OG - that is awful news. Do hope they can establish how the fire started. Hope you are feeling a lot better.
  • Diane, meant to say, that's very worrying news about the birds. Hope the experts can work out what it is.

Lynette, glad you enjoyed your meal. That sounds very sensible, having two starters instead. Fingers crossed for your Scottish trip.