LOCH OF THE LOWES - JUNE 2021

Link to May 2021

History of Ospreys at Loch of the Lowes

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrival dates: Laddie - 21st March   NC0 - 25th March

Three eggs laid: Egg #1 - 11.4.21  Egg #2 - 14.4.21  Egg #3 - 17.4.21

Hatch dates: Chick 1 - 18.5.21 (37 days)  Chick 2 - 20.5.21 (36 days)  Chick 3 - 22.5.21 (35 days)

25.5.21 - Third chick passed away Broken heart 

22.6.21 - Chicks ringed: #1 - LR1 (female)  #2 - LR2 (male) 

Ringing Blog >>>  Meet our newly ringed osprey chicks - LR1 and LR2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last month, we saw all three chicks hatch but unfortunately, the third one very sadly passed away after surviving for just over two full days. Laddie and NC0 continue to nurture their two remaining chicks. Long may the good weather, as well as Laddie’s effective hunting, persist so we can continue to watch these wonderful osplets thrive.

• I'm not seeing any posts for today - I hope it's not because you're still suffering the vaccine after-effects, SANDRA, but that it's for the same reason as I haven't been able to post anywhere - which is that the site has been seized-up since before 05:00, in my experience.

This is the current scene, it's a repeat of scenes earlier in the day - very happy!

IMAGICAT

• I'm ok Scylla, thank you. I've been off from work today but feeling much better now. I gave up with this site...

16:54 Fish from Laddie - first, I think, since very early this morning (6:30ish) when Laddie delivered a headless fish - there was already another one on the nest at that time too

Two very hungry chicks 

There was a huge stick delivery from Laddie just before 12:30 today, I'll post some pics a bit later

©SWT/LotL

• Laddie's extremely large stick delivery (12:28). What a palaver it was!

Just part of it coming into view

NC0 decided to help with placement, one of the twigs went onto Laddie's shoulders

Hanging over the right edge 

At time of posting, it is still there

©SWT/LotL

• The site has been so slow. Have they all emigrated now?
  • The RSPB IT staff or the Ospreys, Korky? lol
  • 20:56 From being on the birch for a while (presumably eating), Laddie brings a headless fish to the nest

Laddie left. #1 pecked at the fish

Feed in progress

©SWT/LotL

• Both chicks had very full crops. These pics taken a shortly before they were both offered more 

21:08

21:12 Look at #2's crop! Slight smile

21:29 Laddie came to the nest and retrieved what was left the fish

He left the nest

21:53 Chicks lying either side of a sleepy NC0

©SWT/LotL

• 21:58 Laddie returned the fish, NC0  got straight up take it from him and began to feed herself

Laddie left the nest and made his way over to the birch area

Both chicks received a top-up

22:12 NC0 finishing off the fish. Chicks settled and ready for sleep

©SWt/LotL

• As I looked in the chicks were having a last few bits of fish before settling down There was a little left for NC0 herself and then shedid the usual nest and beak clean. She decided she wanted to reposition thestick she was using to clean her beak, but it wouldn'r budge. She made a few atempts but was forced to abandon that project and is now pottering

C SWT Loch of the Lowes

• Good morning Patily and all. That was the chicks 2nd feed from the 'live' fish that Laddie delivered at 5:10 (pic)

Present scene. Laddie spending time with his family. He's been there for almost 20 minutes

©SWT/LotL