LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2021

Link to April 2021

History of Ospreys at Lowes >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2019/03/celebrating-50-years-of-ospreys-at-loch-of-the-lowes/

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrival dates:   Laddie - 21st March   NC0 - 25th March

Three eggs laid:

11.4.21 (10:18) -  NC0 lays an egg

14.4.21 (08:04) -  NC0 lays her second egg

17.4.21 (07:41) -  NC0 lays her third egg

Hatch dates

Chick #1 - 18.5.21 (37 days) Early hours The first chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes 

Chick #2 - 20.5.21 (36 days) 1:16am The second chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes

Chick #3 - 22.5.21 (35 days) The third chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes

25.5.21 - Chick 3 passed away Broken heart  Sad news about our third chick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely delighted to have watched three precious eggs being laid. Laddie and NC0 have perfected their incubation duties and, through trying times during April, defended them and the nest from multiple intruding Ospreys.  Hopefully, it will not be too long until we see three chicks being cared for by their super parents.

• Just after 17:30, Laddie delivered a corker of a fish, it appeared to be headless too!

Off she went to enjoy it!

18:08 Dear Laddie Slight smile

©SWT/LotL

• Laddiie still on egg duty I don't remember any posts this year of him flying off and leaving the eggs unguarded He has been really diligent with hus duties

• 20:15 Laddie up from the eggs and flew off the nest. 

NC0 returned via the birch to continue incubation a minute later

©SWT/LotL

• patily said:

Laddiie still on egg duty I don't remember any posts this year of him flying off and leaving the eggs unguarded He has been really diligent with hus duties

Hi Patily,

On the 7th May when he was on incubation duty, Laddie flew from the nest leaving the eggs unattended for 37 minutes. We didn't realise at the time that NC0 was on the birch. It was a quite a nerve-wracking wait for her to come back!

• 21:10 Laddie made an appearance and spent a couple of minutes on the nest. NCO was vocal and almost sounded quite hoarse

He flew across the Loch towards the birch and disappeared into the area underneath (arrowed)

22:10

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra P said:

19:31 A (small) fish delivery for NC0. It got snagged on a large stick as well as Laddie's talons, took a couple of tugs from NC0 to take it before leaving the nest

That stick caused problems as, when Laddie was moving it off the nest cup (where it had landed during the melee), he was slipping/walking on the eggs at one point

Just catching up!

I thought we should have the movie for your records, SANDRA - and I hope that stick gets moved or it might block our view of the eggs Open mouth

More to do but must pop off again now.

IMAGICAT

• Oh thank you, Scylla! You can only imagine what I was shouting at my screen when I saw that happen yesterday Scream

Yes, the prongs from the stick are in the way at the moment. I do hope it can be moved...but in a safer manner!

• Sandra P said:
    You can only imagine what I was shouting at my screen

I sure can !!!

Please always let me know if there's any incident you think should be extracted and saved on YouTube - I'm keeping LOTL footage for about 2 days if I haven't been organised enough to keep track here.

IMAGICAT

• NCO hasn't been relieved yetSound of rain, I think THE stick is mostly safely out of the way but partly hiding any egg action which is imminent
  • Good morning Scylla, Patily and all

Laddie paid a brief visit to the nest just before 5am. She was sounding off quite loudly so it was no wonder he didn't stay too long! lol

©SWT/LotL