LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2021

Link to April 2021

History of Ospreys at Lowes >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2019/03/celebrating-50-years-of-ospreys-at-loch-of-the-lowes/

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrival dates:   Laddie - 21st March   NC0 - 25th March

Three eggs laid:

11.4.21 (10:18) -  NC0 lays an egg

14.4.21 (08:04) -  NC0 lays her second egg

17.4.21 (07:41) -  NC0 lays her third egg

Hatch dates

Chick #1 - 18.5.21 (37 days) Early hours The first chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes 

Chick #2 - 20.5.21 (36 days) 1:16am The second chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes

Chick #3 - 22.5.21 (35 days) The third chick has hatched at Loch of the Lowes

25.5.21 - Chick 3 passed away Broken heart  Sad news about our third chick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely delighted to have watched three precious eggs being laid. Laddie and NC0 have perfected their incubation duties and, through trying times during April, defended them and the nest from multiple intruding Ospreys.  Hopefully, it will not be too long until we see three chicks being cared for by their super parents.

• 23:25 NC0 exercised her wings and had a quick fly around after having spent the majority of the day (30.4.21) incubating. She had been beset with many Osprey intrusions which she dealt with admirably. Laddie, as far as I could tell, was last seen leaving the nest at 13:00 after an exchange of duty when NC0 took over.

Hoping that Laddie comes to the nest first thing in the morning with a fish for NC0 and to allay any concerns

©SWT/LotL

• Thank you for starting the new thread with a super opening post, SANDRA Blush 

I am so sorry to see the harrowing afternoon/evening the NCO went thru, and that Laddie has been missing since yesterday lunchtime - this was the last time you saw him - I haven't been able to find him since then:

Intrusions - and later, a bit after NC0 had been calling, "someone" skimmed the water and flew onto the dead birch:

I think it was a bit before 23:30 that NC0 got up for a flap, down again, and a few minutes later went for a flyabout.  This vid is Unlisted because I didn't edit out any of the time she was absent, it's just for your mental records, SANDRA :-*

Currently NC0 is sleeping tucked.

IMAGICAT

• Your 12:40 post wasn't there when I opened the RF to do my bit, Sandra - am so relieved to see that "somewhere around 23:30" was not too far out Stuck out tongue

IMAGICAT

• Someone joined NC0 on the nest, she started call-shouting, I can't tell who it was, must replay it.

IMAGICAT

• I fear it wasn't Laddie, but you'll know better:

I hope someone has been on duty so they know that Laddie is missing.

IMAGICAT

• She's been "looking" but I haven't seen any further intrusion:

IMAGICAT

• She's calling - "contact" calling, I think.

IMAGICAT

• I have to pack up now. Dear NC0 is still waiting patiently to be relieved, preferably with a fish.

(If you're wondering how I did these posts during the freeze - it was with much angst and waiting.)

IMAGICAT

• Good morning Scylla and all

I have found 3 more intrusions this morning before and just after 6am. 

First

Second

Third

Lowes change the camera angle around 6:25

8:12 NC0 has been screeching - another intrusion! Oh Laddie...where are you???

©SWT/LotL

• Morning Sandra and thanks for the new thread and intro.

This is awful - I've been watching last half hour and NCO has been screeching and I've seen the intruder twice approach the nest!, the last appearing to dive bomb her!

But where is Laddie?