LOCH ARKAIG - THE WOODLAND TRUST - APRIL 2021 to END OF FEBRUARY 2022

LINK TO LOCH ARKAIG OSPREYS WEBSITE

Return Dates for Louis last year was 5th April 08.15 and Aila 6th of April 09.24

The happy couple last year - lets hope its not too long until we see them safely return from migration. 

LINK TO MARCH 2021 THREAD - where all links are to previous threads and history. 

• Slo-mo hi-def zoomed version of the ringed female Osprey 09.21.21 freezeframe as she departs gives best view of ring.

• It's all go this morning! Louis arrives 10.02.34

• A woodpecker and Blue Tit also visited this morning. Busy day!

• From Liz posted on WT chat this afternoon:

The nest with the camera I call nest cam nest. I decided to call the two platforms that the ospreys are currently using platform1 and platform 2 as it was getting a bit confusing. They are very close together and the birds flit between them. However it's becoming clear that they prefer platform 1 and I think this is where they will probably choose to lay eggs. I am pretty certain that it's Louis and the new female that are using them. The skinny female.

I've only checked the nests a couple of times today but mating both times at Platform 1. I watched Louis scanning the loch for fish at lunchtime before he returned empty taloned to the nest for a bit of mating then circled up in the thermals before heading west along the loch again presumably to continue fishing. I don't know if he was successful.

I don't know for sure if it's Louis but I have a strong suspicion it's him. I've seen him fly over from the nest cam nest to platforms 1 and 2 and these are the same nests he and Aila spent a lot of time at in 2019 before returning to use the nest cam nest to rear their family. He isn't spending much time at all at the nest cam except to make infrequent visits and he is never in his usual perches there when I check. I'm 99% sure it's Louis and it looks as though platform 1 will be the nest they use sadly. I also think he'll defend the nest cam nest from any incomers as he may want to use it next year. This is exactly what happened at Loch of the Lowes last year.

• Just did a new better version of the ringed female's visit, you can almost decipher the ring. Almost. Theory is that it's FS2, a 2014 Loch Arkaig chick.

Liz says:  It could be FS2. We had FS1 visit 2018 and 2019 and at that time FS2 hadn't been sighted since fledging. Just a bit unusual for a female to return to natal area, or so we're led to believe.

• Exciting news, yesterday's ringed female returns: Blue J52 At least, that's what Lewis Pate thinks, it actually looks like 152, but he's got more idea than we have! Liz has sent pics to RDF for more info.

• New hi-def zoom version of Blue 152? J52? JS2? visiting again today 13.06.40 Now there are even more options to consider!!!

• Thank you Geemeff, that's a brilliant zoom in. Surely it's 152? I understand Liz has contacted Roy, so there might be more info in due course.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Yes, Sheila, I think so although Lewis Pate thought J52. But have looked again on a friend's software, something called 'unsharp mask' which gets in even closer and quite crisp, and I'm now sure it's 152. Hoping RDF get back soon with more info, think it's one of the private nests.

• No action at all on the nest today. No Louis, no fish, no visitors, not even a songbird. But, Louis is around and seems to be thriving, as reported by Liz B this evening "All the usual osprey action happening over at the two platforms today. I was lucky enough to watch Louis fly off after a mating attempt and head for the loch where he made two dives into the water which was amazing to see. He didn't manage to catch anything so flew further east down the loch where I think the water would be a little less choppy. When I checked back at the nest half an hour later the female was eating on platform 2 while Louis was tidying up on platform 1 so it didn't take him too long to find dinner".

And a follow-up report: "It's impossible to say which female he's with. There's no way I can see that much detail without the nest camera. Let's hope Louis will bring her over one day to meet everyone! If there are eggs we might be able to make a guess as to which female it might be by working out the days since they potentially met, but even that can vary hugely. It could be a female that we've not seen on the nest cam at all." Here's hoping Louis decides tomorrow is a good day for introductions!