LOCH ARKAIG - THE WOODLAND TRUST - APRIL 2021 to END OF FEBRUARY 2022

LINK TO LOCH ARKAIG OSPREYS WEBSITE

Return Dates for Louis last year was 5th April 08.15 and Aila 6th of April 09.24

The happy couple last year - lets hope its not too long until we see them safely return from migration. 

LINK TO MARCH 2021 THREAD - where all links are to previous threads and history. 

• Edit:  you sneaked in when I was busy with this, Geemeff!!  Super vid

I know there are 'several' platforms in the glen, but am confused about where they are.  Looking at a map the Bunarkaig nest must be at the east end of the loch.  I think the nest that Louis has moved to is at the west end, but I'm unsure about that.  Perhaps there was another nest there anyway, but he has moved to another one?

09.52  152 landed with a plonk.  She looked around for the YP who landed on her back  and slid to her left, with no mating attempt.  Again, they must have been/probably were together before they flew in.  He continues to faux mantle on greeting, and she fish solicits. He flapped wings and jumps over her to the far side of the nest where he surveyed the area, and 152 called.  One mating was good, but there a few failed including one when he was tipped off over her head and stopped, with her heat and shoulders under his tail.  She had to back out!

152 had to back out from the YP's tail!  The YP surveyed the glen again

Before he flew off

Followed by 152, who headed up the glen - towards Bunarkaig??  I've seen her head that way before, so perhaps your theory is right!!

ENS

10.40.43  152 returned

Looking for the YP?

Something must have spooked her.  She looked over her shoulder, back up the hillside, and flew off with a brief alarm call.  Whoever or whatever remained out of sight

10.44.19-152 flew off over the back of the nest and the hillock before turning to the right again

11.17  still ENS

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP/Postcode Lottery

• 12.43 She is back, and calling  ***  nonsense, I'm on playback.  11.58 she returned calling loudly!

she is still there and still calling

• Fish!! He's brought her a fish! Finally!! 12.13.07

• Fabulous.
    I don't know how I missed it, and my times are all mixed up!
  • SheilaFE said:
    Fabulous.
    I don't know how I missed it, and my times are all mixed up!

Not surprising Sheila, it was the titchiest dried up old half a tail - she grabbed it eagerly anyway!

• Well, perhaps that's a start, but it's certainly not enough to feed her, let alone chicks!
  • Thanks for the vid Geemeef. I had another look thru it.

LOL she was calling as the tail fin went down her gullet. He just cleaned his beak on a near branch on the nest. He clearly had a good meal LOL.
    12.19 he flew off, swooping down and to the right again. She continued to call, often looking to the right where he flew (off cam), so must have been within sight.
    13.01.31 amidst calling she bit a stick or two, then looked seriously around her, called, scratched her head and did some more calling before moving a twig or two.

Just a thought. Does she really like this nest and would like it to become 'home', but is having a problem getting the YP to agree!! She moved some more twigs around and a stick - hmm nestorising!!

13.06 the YP returned as she was pulling bark off a stick over to the left - no attempted mating. She continued to call!
    13.19.48 the YP flew off down and to the top right, through the logo. She suddenly went briefly quiet before flying off herself at 13.26, but she dropped down and made her way to the left of the hillock and round to the left.

13.36 ish But was back ten minutes later, still calling, moving sticks and standing looking to the right again. Once more she moved sticks around.
    15.09.she pooped across the nest !!! and flew off down and to the right, thru the logo! So she was on the nest for about an hour and a half, calling and moving twigs and sticks.

A quick flit thru I don't think either has returned to the nest since.
    17.51 ENS
  • Sheila was asking about the other platforms.

Louis and his new female have relocated to the tree shown in this video:

www.youtube.com/watch

It is in the same woodland block as the camera nest, on the southern side of the Loch. It is a few Km away from the camera nest. We won't be more detailed than that. There is another similar platform quite close. Louis and his new female seem to be going between the two quite a bit but we think there are eggs on the platform shown in the clip.