LOCH ARKAIG - THE WOODLAND TRUST - APRIL 2021 to END OF FEBRUARY 2022

LINK TO LOCH ARKAIG OSPREYS WEBSITE

Return Dates for Louis last year was 5th April 08.15 and Aila 6th of April 09.24

The happy couple last year - lets hope its not too long until we see them safely return from migration. 

LINK TO MARCH 2021 THREAD - where all links are to previous threads and history. 

• patily said:
    Thanks SHRILA Gutted about Aila as I'm sure we all are but I hope Louis manages to bond with a new female and they stay on the camera nest and have time tobreed. Too much to ask?

I recall that in 2017 (the first year) Aila didn't appear on the scene until late April, without checking maybe as late as 26 April (I'm sure someone will advise the correct date). That was the year of Lachie. On this basis, if Louis & the new female hit it off then there should be sufficient time for successful breeding. Ian

EDIT - looking back Aila may have arrived in 2017 on 28 April in the evening. 

• patily said:
    I hope Louis manages to bond with a new female and they stay on the camera nest and have time tobreed. Too much to ask?

Probably, but please let it be!

IMAGICAT

• No bids but some snow on the nest againr
  • Morning all.

Message from George yesterday:

Lewis Pate has been in touch having checked around various nests in the vicinity a few days ago.

Brilliant news: There is a sea eagle pair and two golden eagle pairs active on nests.

At least one osprey has been observed at the regular nest at the far western end of the Loch. So that means all three of the regularly used osprey nests near the loch have signs of activity - Bunarkaig, our nest camera and the western nest.

• SheilaFE said:

I hadn't realised that Louis wasn't around much over the past 12 hrs?? or so.  Liz reported hearing mating chirrups just off camers at 12.55.  

16.33  she could see a single osprey perhaps in Louis's usual spot behind the nest.  No activity on the other platforms at the momet.

16.34 and 16.40 possible brief sky dancing sounds, but all quite again now.

Another message from Liz a little later, Sheila:

16.49 After he left his perch (see previous post at 16.33) I managed to catch sight of him circling round high above the hill for several minutes then he suddenly changed direction and made a bee line straight for the other nest platform where he is now sitting! I couldn't see a second osprey.

• Ian S said:
    patily said:
    Thanks SHRILA Gutted about Aila as I'm sure we all are but I hope Louis manages to bond with a new female and they stay on the camera nest and have time tobreed. Too much to ask?

I recall that in 2017 (the first year) Aila didn't appear on the scene until late April, without checking maybe as late as 26 April (I'm sure someone will advise the correct date). That was the year of Lachie. On this basis, if Louis & the new female hit it off then there should be sufficient time for successful breeding. Ian

EDIT - looking back Aila may have arrived in 2017 on 28 April in the evening. 

As Ian notes, she arrived 28th April her first year and still fledged a chick. On the countdown calendar, the Balgavies male, due back 5th April, has just arrived back 17th April.  Aila's only twelve days overdue, I'm still hoping for her return.

ukospreys.uk/countdowndt.htm

• Oh GEMEFF Cheered me up no end to think there's still a chance ofAila arriving
  • Update from Liz B

08.30 Two ospreys are perched over at the other two platforms this morning. Initially one was eating on one platform, the other was nest cupping on the neighbouring platform but have now joined each other.

• Not a lot seems to be happening on the nest. Thanks for the updates that there are ospreys around.