LOCH GARTEN UPDATES AND WEBCAM INFORMATION - 2021

Until the webcam is up and running and we go back to Daily Updates on the Nest, this thread is for posting any information about LOCH GARTEN. 

Fergus has written a new blog with details of when the Centre will be opening - May 1st.  

LINK TO BLOG

• Fabulous video scylla! Let's hope the LG staff can focus on whoever it is if he/she comes back. Although we'll not know if it's the same bird. Thinking Looks pretty gormless to me.

• Well, well, well we have a camera on the nest! This is very good news and so great to see after all this time. Sad about the nest camera being defunked. I do hope that we are going to be getting closer views, if in the event we do get Osprey's. The centre is not open until the 1st May, will staff be in before then I wonder, who will be controlling the camera, or is that not needed, like the previous one and it can be controlled from elsewhere. We have waited so long to see this nest live again, and it was lovely to see the views yesterday and today, but a bit of a gut sinking feeling if we can't get nearer. Moan over, I am sure others feel the same. Pensive

Moffer great to hear from you again, hope you stay around.

Oh my maybe gormless George has returned!! Grinning

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• CRinger said:

scylla said:

This must be the anti-climax of the 21st century so far.

https://youtu.be/fSW-s14csck

Scylla, sometimes you disappoint me! When will you learn that you should never use the words Syclla and anti-climax in the same sentence? Brilliant job to capture what is the first reported Osprey on this world famous nest in 2021. An iconic moment in the history of LG. 

============================================

My remark referred to the huge disappointment of the cam that's been inflicted on us,

SHEILA's post:

16:23 Fergus Cuillin    ​Our camera is set on wide angle at the moment and we don't want to startle the osprey by moving it just yet.

I'm not aware of other sites who have recorded this as a concern? 

Rage Rage Rage 

Online watchers have been an infernal nuisance for years.

I told you!  And now my toys are scattered all over the universe!

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

I told you!  And now my toys are scattered all over the universe!

NASA eat your heart out! We have Mission Control Scylla!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Hello,

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

So we have the HD on the mast and a second microphone on the nest. This is streamed live on the internet in High Definition (1920 x 1080). It is streaming at 25 frames per second with a complete refresh every 2 seconds (hence the additional image update). With the new 4G Internet connection, we can also stream the bird feeder in HD. So there is some good news, but in the short term tempered by the above frustration.

We are hoping that the staff can zoom the camera in on the nest in the morning so any new visitors to the nest can be identified if known. The microphone should be live and online over the next few days.

We are really sorry for the disappointment (voiced above) of not having the close-up views we hoped for this season. Meanwhile, looking forward, we can just hope that a new pair choose to adopt the Loch Garten nest and give us all several years of the highs and lows of raising a family.

Peter
  • Thank you Peter for the update and explanation. Your and the others work is much appreciated, fingers crossed we see a pair take up residence and we can once again follow, as you say, the highs and lows on this special nest.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Well, Peter, thank you so much for that comprehensive explanation - I'd like to say "all is forgiven" but it turns out there is nothing to forgive.

Now I've got to traverse the universe collecting up all my toys... "I may be some time" but unlike Oates I hope to be back.

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    Hello,

We are hoping that the staff can zoom the camera in on the nest in the morning so any new visitors to the nest can be identified if known. The microphone should be live and online over the next few days.

Peter

Thank you so much Peter for all your hard work and the update.

But it does leave me a little confused. Your post seems to suggest that the staff hae been unable to zoom in the camera before now, but an earlier post suggests that this was a conscious decision not to do so as they were worried that movement of the camera might startle the Osprey. If you zoom in the camera does it actually move? Sorry, a confirmed technophobe here, just trying to understandc. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• There was a power interruption last night after which the camera automatically went to a random position and out of focus. After some phone guidance at lunch time today the centre staff were able to gain control again and move the camera onto the nest. They did however then zoom it right out a little while later.

So yes, they can control the camera again as of 1PM today.
  • MANY thanks for this swift reply Peter - but I did ask if you zoom the camera, does the camera actually move?