• The BBC report claims that the 2001 Rutland nest was the first in England. It was joint first with the Lake District nest at Bassenthwaite. Each pair raised a single chick.
  • ThankyouALAN It would be good to know who 036's parents are
  • HilaryJ said:
    The BBC report claims that the 2001 Rutland nest was the first in England. It was joint first with the Lake District nest at Bassenthwaite. Each pair raised a single chick.

Thank you Hilary, for that information.  It's interesting to know that Bassenthwaite was established at the same time at Rutland's first one.  Certainly the Lakes is doing well.

Roudsea Wood and Rutland   RSPB Loch Garten, Abernethy posted a general update today on their FB page on successful nests this year, presumably within the Forest.  A comment in response was really interesting

Re-introductions, interestingly a Rutland Water bred female has nested in NW England this year paired to a Roudsea born male (S Cumbria).

Has anyone any idea which birds these are?  

• Latest from River Gwash Ospreys FB page:

Blue 059, son of Blue 28(10) aka Wonky Wing visited Horn Mill on Friday.  

• Thanks, everyone, for the pics and posts. I've not had enough time to dip in here as often as I wished to over the last few months--too much going on in the rest of life, distracting me from the Ospreys--arrrgh!
    Karen, The River Gwash report above is interesting in that it says 059 is male (probably true?) but ukospreys has 059 listed as a 2019 female, unless there is a second bird with the same ring number...

• Ann

There shouldn't be another bird with the same ring number (unless there has been a real mix up). All the UK ospreys are now receiving blue rings and any 3 character ring is one of this series. However identifying the sex of youngsters is not 100% reliable and 059 wouldn't be the first to turn out to be have been misidentified.
  • Latest from Rutland FB Page:

Blue 4K(13) set off yesterday, 31 Aug around 08:00

Wishing Blue 4K, and all the other Rutland Ospreys, a safe migration and return.

• Thanks, Hilary, That's what I thought, that there would not be 2 identical rings, although there are at least 2 instances on UKOspreys, presumably a very reliable site, of two birds ringed with the same number--Mr Rutland and his daughter Nora were both ringed White 03, he in 1997 in Scotland and she in 2008 at Rutland. Not far below them in that list are two more birds both ringed White 08, the male in Scotland in 1997 and the female in 2009 at Bassenthwaite. I wonder if, early on, Scotland and England had not yet coordinated their ring numbers and colours. Anyone know?

Thanks, Karen, Good news that 4K has set off again. I cannot remember if I ever knew if he is one of the spare males at Rutland or if he had chicks this year (or any year for that matter!). He is one of many special birds for me because he is Blue 12(10)'s (Glesni's) nephew, a son of her brother Blue 11(10) and female Blue 25(10), and he hatched in 2013, the same year as his Rutland relative, Blue 3J (Telyn), hatched at Manton Bay and daughter of the much missed 5R and the then-named-Mrs 5R (now Maya), and of course, 3J/Telyn took over the Dyfi nest after Glesni.