DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - MARCH/APRIL/MAY 2021

Dyfi is due to open its doors for the new season today - as yet no cam online.

This thread = as per title.  There is another thread for the overall Dyfi Osprey Project.

Over the past couple of years the upkeep of the stats etc on DyfiOspreyProject.org has tailed off.

We are not permitted to publish videos, however last season I did some restricted to "Unlisted" status, which means they are not visible to general YouTubers and must not be shared.

All pictures (and videos) ©Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust ©Dyfi Osprey Project  

YOUTUBE CHANNEL, where LIVE cam link can always be found.

Idris took over from (((Monty))) in 2019, partnering Telyn (Blue3J) thru to last season, when they raised two boys, Tywi & Teifi, to successful migration.  Idris is a fine osprey, as witnessed by his fishing feat during the storm of August 2020:

And Telyn is a feisty female, defending vs allcomers.

I have to use a duplicate "collage" because I just can't find a good pic of the two together.

We're probably going to have a long wait for our couple's return, but here's to it!

IMAGICAT

• The winds are still raging Teltn sitting tight Hope little bob is OK
  • Bob 1 seems ok sailing with rough winds...like Sir Ben Ainsly (Englands Americas Cup Team Captain)

• DOP sayno food so far today for the bob but he is finr
  • Bob has been fed now, Idris turned up with a flounder

Richard B

• Apologies, I have not yet had time to read back so there may be evidence posted earlier by someone here, but although there was great rejoicing on the chat about the chick having eaten, during the brief time I managed to watch this nest today, particularly during my very short look when there was a flounder on the nest, the chick did not actually swallow anything. Telyn kept offering pieces which were a bit too large, the chick could not hold its head steady and could not get its beak around the pieces and then Telyn ate them. Granted that I could only bear to watch briefly, having become way too soppy in my old age! Has there been only the one fish and has anyone actually seen the chick swallow anything today? Not to mention that Idris could easily have injured the chick when he stepped right on it. Thanks, everyone, but I'm off to check a few other threads before getting back to my tasks away from the birds--shame that real life keeps cutting into my fun time!

Kind regards, Ann

• Ann
    Reading chat it seems bob ate enough to give a bulging crop and then fell into a coma, so sounds like a good feed.

Richard B

• Some scenes from today.

Idris brought fish to perch first:

Then to nest but Telyn wouldn't get up for it:

So he took it here - I don't know what he's perched on, me having neglected Dyfi this season, as most seasons!

Lovely pool on the flooded cors:

This was the first of 2 feeds this afternoon, with #2 in the early stages of pipping:

After the above feed Idris took away nearly the whole fish:

Unknown said:
    although there was great rejoicing on the chat about the chick having eaten, during the brief time I managed to watch this nest today, particularly during my very short look when there was a flounder on the nest, the chick did not actually swallow anything. Telyn kept offering pieces which were a bit too large, the chick could not hold its head steady and could not get its beak around the pieces and then Telyn ate them. Granted that I could only bear to watch briefly, having become way too soppy in my old age!

I saw it more like you did, GARDENBIRDER, but that's not to say there's anything to worry about at this stage.

Next feed:  There were a couple more morsels offered after this profile snap, but you can see that the chick's crop, whilst not hollow, is by no means bulging, and rather than collapse into a coma it collapsed in frustration (only joking).

Osplet #1 half an hour ago (last reveal):

IMAGICAT

• Telyn protesting, sounds like there's an intruder.

IMAGICAT

• Cuckoo has been calling, stopped for the time being.

IMAGICAT