Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• 25 April

She spent most of the morning on the nest quite inactive between 05:45 and 11:27:

In the afternoon she landed chipping @ 14:11, stayed under an hour looking rather sourpussy, and flew off soaring after some apparently warning slow flaps @ 15:06.

Back for an hour in the evening, up to campost 18:37 and I couldn't tell when she left - the only cambump was not clearly on or off.

26 April

Hmm, well there was a definite landing @ 03:33 but it sounded lighter than our CJ7, nevertheless she eventually descended from the campost @ 05:45 and picked about in the nestcup for a while, then just stood there as per the first snap above, and went for a short flyabout @ 09:28, back until 10:39...

Awesomely back @ 12:31:

She flew off @ 13:44, back on the campost @ 14:30.

My internet was flaky during that period.

Gosh, we hadn't been seeing much of this!

Someone was up there:

She popped up and back down again and finally flew off @ 19:24, I didn't detect her returning.

That's it up to 02:45.

IMAGICAT

• A recent post from Poole Harbour with a very useful table of ring and year data of the translocated birds to date.

© BoPH

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thank you Sheila, my heart did a mini jump when I saw a post in Poole. What an awful year 2018 was.
  • It certainly was Jane. The weather was completely different in 2019 and they only lost two, so lessons have been learned the hard way. It's interesting to notice the large number of males v females too. Just three females each year.
    I believe they are hoping to go ahead with the transloction this year which will be interesting.

• JaneV said:
    Thank you Sheila, my heart did a mini jump when I saw a post in Poole. What an awful year 2018 was.

Which makes it all the more remarkable that 014 is doing so well. She was one of the two oldest and strongest, but still had to endure the same conditions as the others.

• 014 is one very special bird. It would be fascinating to know if she is related to any of the other known Ospreys and if so, just how! How closely if at all is she related to the famous Mr Rutland or to any other of the Rutland birds?
    Presumably Roy and company take birds from many of the same most easily reached nest sites each year they collelct any birds and have done so for many years, spreading them across Rutland, Poole Harbour and several sites in Europe. If there have been long-lived birds raising chicks on those nests in Scotland, then many of the translocated birds must be related to each other. But how many different Scottish nests have been used over the years and how many Ospreys have been parents to the translocated juveniles? Oh...sigh.....

Kind regards, Ann

• Has there been any sightings of the translocated males?
  • Only ones from 2017, Jane. LS3 (seen in Africa), LS6 (found dead in Africa) and LS7 (who bonded with CJ7 in 2019 but failed to return in 2020). The 2019 males were strong, though, so there are high hopes for them.
  • Thank you Alison for about the news of the egg. Sad in so many ways, but good to know she really is ready to breed again. Where are those boys?