Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• Disaster - I had been waiting for an opportune time to close the downloader for a Windows Update, so I shut everything down and forgot I hadn't hit Pos heret, so the whole day has to be redone Tired face 

Too many balls in the air, can only really manage one at a time and that's never the status quo.

Very rough-and-ready re-post!

FISH !!!

I'll leave out most of the commentary.

Co-operating, they did quite a bit of this:

2 sticks similar but not the same carrier:

22:30, Nightjar on the perch 1m30s with a quick fly-about in the midst:

IMAGICAT

• 09 July

Oh dear:

Then it started "spacing out" just before daycam:

022 had been and gone twice by 06:00, hadn't brought anything to the nest.

IMAGICAT

• Absolutely cracking Nightjar video! and it is so nice to see how this pair continue to bond. He's taking care his lady remembers him next year. Thanks for all your efforts Scylla, much appreciated
  • A short video of 022 flying low over the Wareham Channel this morning.

• Unknown said:
    022 flying low over the Wareham Channel

He looks purposeful Persevere

(That's a "persevering face" emoji, they claim ;) )  Thank you, ALISON!

09 July and here was half a Mullet for CJ7's supper:

I've been having lots and lots of dropouts on lots of cams overnight, but PH was doing OK - until I instructed it to stop 'n save, then it just sat there saying it was cancelling, ad infinitum, so Hushed'll see what I've got Hushed  I heard a Nightjar this morning early but it wasn't on the perch.

IMAGICAT

• Am going to have to shut everything down and reboot Cry

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Am going to have to shut everything down and reboot

That's a lot better Blush

Lots of this overnight:

But it so happened I'd started recording the nest in VLC when I heard the Nightjar, and here it is because there's a nice little triffle-trill on the end.  S/he might have been on the campost, I'm sure I've heard their little feetz on there occasionally.

There was a heavy landing on the campost @ 05:02, then a tiny chirp - that will have been our {{{CJ7}}} Purple heart  No-one on the nest yet.

IMAGICAT

• 10 July

Wet.

CJ7 dropped down from the campost 4 times between 07:50 and 08:00 - the fourth time she flew away:

She returned a bit after 09:00 and was joined by 022, no fish, no attempted shenannigans:

She flew after a few minutes but he stayed till nearly 10:15, she returned with a mini-log:

Just before noon - it would have stayed longer but 022 flew in, no confrontation, the corv flew up to the campost and, I presume, away:

She flew in with some dried bracken(?), he was hot on her tail but had no mischievous intent, it turned out, tho he did flounce & posture a bit - no fish either, and it looked as tho neither had eaten today, especially her.

She flew, he stayed and pottered.

She was back 5 times between 16:50 and 18:25, still empty-cropped:

FINALLY !!!

Another half fish, I do hope she'll top herself up cos these are not migration rations Rage 

CJ7 was soon back with a stick:

At least she's not concave:

She flew first, he @ 20:23.

22:41 the Nightjar turned up for 4 minutes:

IMAGICAT

• 11 July

A very busy morning nestorising from 06:15 onwards, especially by CJ7 because 022 went off fishing.

"Stuff" per 022:

IMAGICAT

• CJ7 was on the nest a couple of times after 19:00 expecting a fish and a half of one did materialise - and despite the customary meanness (and how mean am I to 022?... at least he's providing and relinquishing, he's learning) there was a fulfilled mating attempt when CJ7 returned after her short supper break:

No further activity up to 23:00.

IMAGICAT