Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• 18 June - the day's activities:

IMAGICAT

• I don’t know, scylla. I didn’t leave the house yesterday!
  • 19 June

These fliers kept it up till daycam, they really need a movie but I'm on an economy drive:

08:32 - 022 turned up, mainly preened:

For the next hour he was on 'n off the nest ? half a dozen times, sometimes bringing sticks:

Then CJ7 flew in with "something" afoot:

He postured at her - I usually ignore the weird shapes in PhotoScapeX but this time one of them was a no-brainer:

His attempt was not well received:

CJ7 flew up to the campost, 022 flew away.

That was up to about 10:50.

IMAGICAT

• Up to 23:00 this was the only visitor - s/he pottered all over, picked up bits 'n pieces and flew off with a beakful:

IMAGICAT

•  On 19 June

scylla said:
    Up to 23:00 this was the only visitor

Nonsense!  I had omitted the 6-hour session 11:00-17:00.

During that time 022 was on the nest at least twice, and this - I'm having to call it - "LBJ" was on the perch for several minutes:

I've spent a ludicrous amount of time trying to ID it - even googled "brown Siskin" - can't find anything related with the vertical stripes down the throat-ish.

Therefore, to avoid worldwide humiliation via YouTube, I've made it Unlisted till you dear people rush in in your hundreds with the ID.

(None of today's checked yet, I have to take a break.)

IMAGICAT

• Kestrel eating a snack at 14.29 today, scylla.
  • A great help is to look at the beak.
    It has a short fattish beak, which points towards a Finch.
    The call is also quite distinctive.
    I'd say it's a Greenfinch, but the colours are awful.

I'm probably totally wrong

Richard B

• Unknown said:
    It has a short fattish beak, which points towards a Finch.

My first google was "UK Finch", RICHARD.  Ah well, given your esteemed verdict I shan't feel too silly Grin

I'm supposed to be resting but had better look for the Kestrel, just in case it disappears - but let's hope its colours aren't so awful.  Thank you, ALISON!

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    Kestrel eating a snack at 14.29 today, scylla.

It turns out I might easily have missed it but for your time, ALISON!  With the ospreys, I don't always see them but I see the sticks move so I know to stop and narrow it down, but when someone only lands on the perch there's no clue.

BTW - Exactly the same settings as for the "Greenfinch", they don't look too bad on this birdie.  But I've just remembered that we've had a brownish Greenfinch before on this nest, maybe it's a local anomaly Thinking

IMAGICAT

• It's the Males are the really green/yellow green colours, with the females and young generally being more brownish than green.

Richard B